PDA

View Full Version : V-carve vector will not centerline

cliffn
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I am not understanding the vector problem with this vector. I am trying to centerline v-carve this vector with a 1/4" 60 degree v-bit. When I click the "Centerline" button, I get an error stating: "The selected vectors self-intersect. To identify self-intersections, group the vectors." When I go to Vectors, that option is greyed out. It is not an option. What next? I have tried to use the Vector Doctor to correct the vector, but I get back the same number of points to correct when I check it again.

wmf vector file

4519 (38.4 k)

paco
03-30-2008, 08:06 PM
It's already grouped (purple when selected)... but not showing the problem areas. Leave it grouped. Run the vector doctor once to identify the problem(s), fix the loops (don't keep the original). Clear the markers. Run the vector doctor again (yup!) and you should see a "new" problem area at the up right corner. Zoom in enough. Ungroup and selected the related vector (artifacts) and delete them. Run the V Carving toolpath again. It should work.

cliffn
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Paco,
Did you only get a one or a few problem areas? I must have a 100. Its better than the 1000 that I had. What am I missing? Do you have a particular method to fix the remaining? The Vector Doctor "Fix Problems" is now greyed out.

ljdm
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Did you try and fix intersections AND coincedent points? I usually do only intersections, seems to work for me. Don't save originals.

cliffn
03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
That was it. Thanks Lou. And Thank you too, Paco. With the Coincedent Points turned off, no problems were found. It now Centerlines. Thank-You, Thank-You!

Hey Lou,

We communicated quite abit back in January by email. Then I had just got an older PR96. That's long gone and I have a new PRSalpha Buddy32 with a spindle. Took the jump and haven't been disapointed. That was two weeks ago this comming Monday. Waiting for the Power Stick. Not trying to brag, but just share. Thanks again. Need anything, give me a howler.

paco
03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I believe it was 2 remaining problem areas AFTER fixing the MANY loops. Lou has a point; only intersections/loops create problem for toolpathing.

The method really depends on the drawing to start with and the intend final result... in this case I deleted the tiny obsolete vectors.

When the "Fix Problem" button is grayed out it's because there's SUPPOSED (ArtCAM right?!) to have no loops...

Check out the help (up right) for the Vector doctor tool.