PDA

View Full Version : Using AutoDesk with a shopbot

diesel
09-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I just purchased a copy of Autodesk, it has all the bells and whistles 3d,architectural, mechanical etc. Can I use this to do 3d carving with my shopbot, similiar to ArtCam?

paco
09-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi P.A.Lovejoy!

If it has tools and features that suits your need for creating 3D files, why not?! You'll need a CAM too...

I would think that ArtCAM (PRO) has thoses kind of specifics tools and feature that ease the creation of 3D relief for carving on a 3 axis router (4 too)... and the native file system is somewhat different too... ArtCAM are CAD/CAM softwares.

Does that help?

diesel
09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Paco, The salesman said he thought it would work. He didnt know if the output file in Auto desk would work with the shopbot so he couldnt say for sure. Just wondered if anyone else in the world was using Autodesk and Shopbot.

paco
09-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Generaly when I hear (read) "3D carving", I think of "organic" shapes which can be tedious to design in such 3D CAD as Autodesk (I believe)... just as "mechanical" part can be a pain to design in "sculptural" software such as ArtCAM PRO... but keep in mind that "organic shapes" sure can be done in 3D CAD and mechanical designs can be done too in "sculptural" softwares...

Generaly, from a salesman point of view, anything will work...