PDA

View Full Version : Alibre CAD/CAM software

mail@graphixtreme.com
08-21-2004, 03:21 AM
Hi all,

I am not YET an owner of a ShopBot, but am seriously looking into getting one (48x96). I use Unigraphics daily, but would be getting the ShopBot for my moonlighting sign business that I hope to get into full-time. Anyway, I came across a software package that I've not yet seen discussed called Alibre (www.alibre.com (http://www.alibre.com)). Their PRO version has a CAM module called Mecsoft FreeMill (based on VisualMill). I don't know yet what the CAM capabilites are, but have an inquiry into them about that. Just curious if anyone here has heard of and/or used it? It seems pretty reasonably priced for what it is at around $1300 for this PRO version. I appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks!

Brady Watson
08-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Chris,
If you are looking to do signs, your best value will probably be Insignia. It will allow you to do just about anything 2D, plus V-carving of any font, beveled/prismatic letters and a few other things meant for carving signs.

You can download FreeMill for free right now without purchasing anything, and generate toolpaths for the bot from your existing CAD files. I believe it will toolpath 3D files, but remember it is free. I would think about what you want to do exactly with your sign business before purchasing any software. In fact, I would wait until you had your bot up and running with PartWizard before buying anything. Then after seeing what is possible with PW, select a supplimentary package that will suit your needs.

If you are looking to do 3D things on the bot, you will need a program like Rhino to manipulate the 3D file and another to toolpath it, like MillWIzard ($250). The 3D game gets expensive and you certainly get what you pay for with 3D software.

-Brady

elcruisr
08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
I have a friend who does fairly complex 3-d work in the metal field and tried the software you're talking about. While he said it was pretty good for the money he moved over to Solid Works pretty fast due to what he felt where the limitations of the software.

I do work for several sign shops with Insignia. It certainly does everything I've needed so far.

Eric

mail@graphixtreme.com
08-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Since I have done some much work with Unigraphics (I'd say around 5000 hours or better), I was kinda hoping to get something that will kinda replicate it's interface, but allow to use it for both signs and whatever else I dream up to use the ShopBot for. I've also used AutoCAD quite a bit and have used SolidWorks some (which seems VERY powerful and feature-rich for the money). Since I am a Mechanical Engineer by schooling and trade, you can see why I am looking for something along these lines. I suppose it would be best to just use the included software initially until I decide what all I need the software to do. Thanks for the input so far!