PDA

View Full Version : Tracing odd shaped objects?

bobbuttons
07-10-2001, 08:36 PM
is there a product that uses a pen/mouse that can generate dxf files of odd shaped parts in a cad program?? basically a mechanical device that would make a design on the screen that i can use to make the part. hope that made sense. thanks!!!

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
07-10-2001, 08:56 PM
Bob, most cad programs support a mouse or a
digi pad for line drawing or tracing..what cad program are you using at present? maybe someone
who is using the same software can help you..

bobbuttons
07-10-2001, 09:16 PM
anyone have one of these devices?? what is the name of it? i am new to this. thanks again

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
07-10-2001, 10:46 PM
Bob, try a search on the net for graphic tablets,
I have a wacom ET45PC cordless, played with it but
very seldom use it.. it has a pen and a mouse..
They range in price from $79.00 to $500.00 for a
12 by 12 in pad..

syp@earthlink.net
07-10-2001, 11:06 PM
You are looking for a digitizer. One with a 12X12 digitizer pad area costs around $200.00.
Brands to look for are AceCad, Summagraphics and Calcom.

davidallen
07-11-2001, 09:17 AM
if you want to take measurements directly from the part, look at the ShopBot probe. I have one for the SB and the same device on a MaxNC mill. they work well.

the time required depends on resolution. for a 4 sided panel, you only need 8 points. for a carving, you may need several thousand points. realistically, your resolution doesn't need to be less than your bit radius.

the output is an XYZ point list, but most CAD programs will read them and convert them to DXF for editing.

da

jdhouse@msn.com
06-21-2003, 10:40 AM
What is the best way to "smooth" out a drawing after it has been traced? Are there any technics or programs that work better than others?
I used corel trace and then saved it as dxf, Then to part wizard...... the file cuts great but has more straight segments in the curved areas than I would like to see. Any advice?
Thanks

rgbrown@itexas.net
06-21-2003, 10:49 AM
jd,

The best solution I have used is RHINO. Rhino allows one to reduce point count, and therefore smooth lines, easily and in all three dimensions. From there on can reloft and such if a reallt smooth part is necessary.

Another solution is to open the program in your favorite true CAD program and "overtrace" with the proper size arcs. This works very well in 2D files.

kerrazy
06-21-2003, 02:34 PM
JD,
ensure you have your tolerances set to .oo4 or there abouts. If not it will definatley cut staight points rather than sweeping. also ensure all text or other items are in curves before you save it as a dxf.

If you would like send me the file and Iw ill rework it for you.

Also check to see if you have the latest parts wizard. it allows you to set tolarnces in all tool path operations. Very important.

Best of luck
Dale

kerrazy
06-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey parts wizard will allow you to smooth as well.

Dale