View Full Version : Absolute coordinate mode

prolitesigns
06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know what this means? I found it it one of the part files created with part wizard, and am just curious as to what it means.

Also im wondering if this is the setting that locks the mouse on the stop button during cutting?

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the function and give the mouse full range while a part file is cutting?

thanks,

tyler

magic
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I believe that "absolute" means your coordinates all radiate from 0.0. and "relative" means that every move you make begins from the last one completed.

But I could be remembering it incorrectly

magic
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
As far as moving the cursor. I believe that once the machine is cutting that you want the ability to stop it or change settings and if the program does not lock you down then who knows what you could be looking at on the internet when you're drilling holes in your table by mistake!

If you want to keep working, do what most everyone does, make sure the file is cutting correctly then go in your office and fire up a different computer. You can put your files on a disk, flash drive or, if it's small enough Email yourself.Then turn up the music, go to the lunch truck, call a friend and before you know it the file is done.

I'm saving for a second Bot and that way I can get more work done in the same time.

sawdust535
07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Tyler, Magic is correct. Another way to look at it: in Absolute Mode, when you type in values for x and y (and z), the movement will be to that exact coordinate, regardless of the current position. In Relative Mode, the values of x and y (and z)will add (or subtract) those values from the current position. (eg. in Absolute Mode, if your current position is (5,5) and you enter values of (10,10), your new position will be (10,10); in Relative Mode, the new position will be (15,15).

magic
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Finally... I was right about something.... I knew all that reading would pay off some day.

paulkiecka
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
it is better to have a computer dedicated to running the controller, but I have found that if your program does have a lot of long cuts. where you are not pulling out of the material. you can get some other work done by having your other application open and hitting <alt>+<tab> to get to it. every time the program pulls out of the material it switches back to ShopBot. at least that has been my experience. while running in this mode, you my accidentally stop your program and have to hit resume or worse as stated above your mouse/keyboard panic switch is not going to be activated as quickly as you may need it.

BTW I run windows XP and use v3.4.27 on a shopBot PRT

prolitesigns
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have a better understanding of absolute versus relative.

As for switching programs, i do have the option of going to another computer, but I was just wondering if there was a way to get stuff done on this one. Usually just trying to kill time while the file is running and so i figured if there was a way to program out the mouse cursor getting frozen id mess around with it.

thanks again for the help

Tyler