PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to speed up vcarve pro's toolpath preview

knight_toolworks
09-02-2007, 01:52 AM
on my home laptop it is plenty fast but my work laptop it is slower then a dog doing preview. it can take several minutes where it takes 30 seconds on my home laptop.
so if possible I want to find out what I need to make the preview fast if I buy a new machine. I don't want to spend anymore then I have too
here are the specs of the slow machine and the fast one

Type: Intel® Core™ Solo Processor U1400 Ultra Low
Voltage
Speed: 1.20GHz
Front Side Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology
Memory
Type: DDR2
Installed: 1GB (512MBx2) PC2-4200
Graphics
Processor: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Video RAM: 128MB (dynamically allocated shared
RAM/Video memory)
Chipset: Intel® 945GMS
Adapter Description

myxpykalix
09-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Steve,
It looks to me like you have a fast enough speed computer there. My guess is that you have several programs that load during startup or are running several things. There are several memory allocation apps you can download from www.download.com (http://www.download.com) to see where your memory is being allocated. You might try seeing what all you have running and shut it all down and see how your computer runs then.

knight_toolworks
09-02-2007, 03:16 AM
I do have stuff running but I have more running at home and vcarve is plenty fast on this laptop (the bottom one) I can try not loading anything and seeing how it does. but the things running are what I use all the time. I don't have anything I don't use running. calculation is plenty fast and turbocad ones loaded is fast enough.
I downloaded memory zip to play with. have to wait till I go to work and see how it does on my work laptop. but I see that vcarve does not suck up much of any cpu on this computer and not a huge amount of ram.

tony_mac
09-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi Steve,

Changing the Preview Quality may help speed things up.

From the main menu select - View > Preview Quality = Standard

This will give you the fastest results but at the cost of slightly lower resolution and quality.

I hope this helps,

Tony

andyb
09-02-2007, 10:49 AM
You can also try turning off Animate preview. That ready slows down my 1.4 mhz system.

Andy B.