PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator

jdhouse
05-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Does anyone use illustrator with shopbot ? does it work ?

billp
05-11-2003, 01:26 PM
You CAN use it as a "front end" design program, and then bring the AI files directly into Part Wizard.If you can export your files as .dxf you can use the Shopbot conversion program to generate .sbp files.
You can NOT run the AI file on the machine without processing it through a program that has CAM functionality...

noah@noahsart.co.nz
05-11-2003, 04:04 PM
JD I now use Illustrator on the Mac to do all the 2d stuff. Then export DXF files. You can download a plug in called EXDXF for this. Watch those chains, avoid exporting arcs cos they sometimes dont do what they should. There is a check box for all this.

Then do all the cutting path and 3d stuff in Vector.

Works well for me.

lance@avalonteam.com
05-13-2003, 01:41 PM
I use Illustrator on Mac and PC for a lot of my drawings. Part Wizard works great. I've had a few problems with AI files, but normally was bale to resolve the issue by exporting as an EPS.

If you have Vector, good luck! I tried using it for a while and had very little luck. (Importing AI files, that is). Most of the files we received from Ad Agencies are from Illustrator.

noah@noahsart.co.nz
11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
I have just put Illustrator 10 onto the PC. This version of Illustrator professes to export DXF files, but when I try to import them into Vector or Vcarvz neither programme can see any content.
I have tried all the export options for DXF, and all the import options for the above progs. Just a blank sheet opens up. However re-opening them in Illustrator 10 sees them correctly again.
Has adobe reinvented their own version of DXF or is there a glitch somewhere - with hopefully a downloadable patch available?
Thanks on advance

nehdad
11-01-2003, 10:24 PM
If I remember correctly you need to update your program. I also talked with shopbot this week about a simular problem with Corel v.11. They metioned to me that there were some updates that needed to be done in v. 10. I do not know if this will help you.

Just a side note I started using Acme Traveart and it traces and converts everything. Best of all it is only $75.00.

Hope this helps

Rich

barrowj
11-02-2003, 07:05 AM
Rich,

I am interested in Acme Traveart but am unable to find any info on it doing a simple search on msn. Can you give any further info?

Thanks,

Joe

gittel
11-02-2003, 08:28 AM
> I am interested in Acme Traveart but am unable to > find any info on it doing a simple search on msn. > Can you give any further info?

"Trave" doesn't make sense, but "Trace" does.

http://www.freefirestudio.com/traceart.htm

kerrazy
11-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Simon,
you have to export your DXF files and make sure you select an older autocad version like at least 10. Then you should see them OK
Dale

kerrazy
11-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Mke,
that is the correct website.
Dale

bob thomas
11-02-2003, 09:22 AM
i got a pdf that i opened in illustrator and tried to save in ai/eps/dxf but they all open in my cad out of proportion. the file was half scale and when i made it full scale most of the lines were off by 1/64 or so? i know the original was done in cad but saved as a pdf so it should have been properly made as far as sizing. any ideas why it got stretched out of size. keep in mind i was able to make the perimeter the right size just the inside dimensions were goofy. thanks guys.

nehdad
11-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I am sorry it is TraceArt and you can download it at http://www.freefirestudio.com/. You can get a free download and the softwares only limitation is that it puts there logo into the vectors. This is easily overcome in partwizard and with only a few extra minutes of prep time you can remove there logo and keep your image intact.

prosigns
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
For about 10 years now I've been using a mac and Flexisign Pro to design signs and cut vinyl.I used Flexi engraqve and a Multi Cam router to rout the sign. Then I apply the vinyl to the routed sign and everything fits great. Well, the multicam broke (terminal) so I bought a shopbot to replace it. Now I need the mac & IBM to get along together. I can create Adobe Illust., Adobe Photoshop, Computer Graphics Metefile, Digital Research Graphic, DXF, EPS, Frame Vector, GAD, JPEG, OS/2 PM Metifile, PNG Raster, TARGA, TIFF, WHIP and Windows Bitmap files in Flexi (mac) most of which I have never used, but they don't show up on the IBM. I have an old version of adobe 5.5 but none of it's formats show uo either (EPS, PDF, Illustrator). Do I need to buy a later version of adobe? Do I need to type a prefix or suffix to the file name to make it work? I've used (.sbp), didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. I have jobs piling up since the Multicam broke down.

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Gary,

Your CAM program will need to have the proper postprocessor to write to a ShopBot. And, the IBM and Mac will need to share files.

Ron

waynelocke
11-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Gary,
I think that you did need to add the suffixes to earlier Mac programs. What PC program are you trying to open the files in. I design on the Mac and don't have a lot of cross platform problems.
Wayne Locke

prosigns
11-04-2003, 11:38 AM
I AM DESIGNING ON A MAC G-3 W/OS 9 SYSTEM SOFTWARE CAD/SIGN PROGRAM IS FLEXISIGN PRO. I AM TRYING TO SEND THE FILE TO A DELL XP RUNNING SHOPBOT / PART WIZZRD. I PLUG THE DISC IN THE DELL AND OPEN PART WIZZARD - CLICK ON IMPORT VECTOR DATA - OPEN FLOPPY AND THE DISC IS BLANK. IF I TYPE IN THE FILE NAME (I'VE SAVED THE FILE IN MANY DIFFERENT FORMATS ON THE DISC) ALL THE FILES SHOW UP, BUT IF I CLICK ON ANY OF THEM TO OPEN THEM I GET THE MESSAGE (FAILED TO IMPORT DATA). I ALSO HAVE A G-4 RUNNING OS 10.1.5. I TRIED THAT ON 1 FILE AND DIDN'T HAVE ANY POSSITIVE RESULTS. MY QUESS IS THE IBM AND THE MAC ARE TALKING GIVEN THE IBM RECOGNIZES THE FLOPPY AND THE FILES ON IT? AND THAT MY PROBLEM LIES WITH PROGRAM COMPATABILITY OR I'M JUST DOING SOMETHING WRONG? I HAVE PEOPLE BRINGING ME IBM DISCS WITH LARGE FORMAT PHOTO PRINTING JOBS ON THEM FROM TIME TO TIME AND THE MAC OPENS AND PROCESSES THEM WITH NO PROBLEMS. I SEE ON SHOPBOTS FORUM THAT YOU AND OTHER GUYS ARE USING THE "DESIGN ON MAC AND OUTPUTTING ON IBM SET UP" SO I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, I JUST NEED TO FIND THE GOLDEN COMBINATION. I REALLY NEED THE TWO TO WORK TOGETHER AS I CUT VINYL WITH THE MAC THAT GETS APPLIED TO THE ROUTERED JOB. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME!

noah@noahsart.co.nz
11-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Gary

For Illustrator files, try typing .ai or .eps at the end of the file name before they leave the mac.

All the other programs will have their own particular suffixes.

Simon

prosigns
11-05-2003, 05:49 PM
I've found an answer I think. Or I should say John Forney found an answer. I e-mailed him a MAC/FLEXISIGN File Saved as a DXF. He Imported it into his Vector Cad Cam Program and e-mailed it back. Pluged it into my IBM Part Wizzard and it opened! Anyone out there have a Vector Cad Cam Program they would like to get rid of. I'm in the market. Thanks again John.
Gary

prosigns
11-14-2003, 07:07 PM
I've found an even easier way to Convert files from MAC/Flexisign Pro to IBM/Part Wizard. Easier for me since I already have the software to make this conversion. I convert all text to outline & save the flexisign file as an Illustrator file. Import to Adobe 8.0. Save as an EPS file -Compatability=3, Preview=none, Postscript level=1, Add ".ai" suffix so IBM can recognize the file and import into IBM Part Wizard. Works everytime. Life is good! Thanks to eveyone who e-mailed suggestions to me! This is my first IBM. I feel like the Chevy guy who went out and bought a Ford. As long as it works, I guess.
Gary

Lika (Unregistered Guest)
12-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello hope someone here can help me out!
I have some problems with adobe illustrator CS, the thing is that when I start my pc and double click the program it takes quiet long to open, well it's reading fonts and plugins, etc... but when it finally open suddenly I got a message that say "Cannot open the request information" and I click ok and the programm close.. and I double click again and hapen the same and in the third or fourth attempt to open it it finally open... so I don't know which could be the trouble there, I uninstall the program and install again like 3 times already but it doesn't correct this problem, so my friend borrow me his programm, and I install it in my pc thinking that maybe mine wasn't ok but hapens the same so I think it may be the system but how could I figure it out, where should I check to see if everything is in order...I use Windows XP my system is: Intel (R) Pentium (R)4 CPU 2.66 Ghz -2.67 Ghz, 1.00 GB RAM
well thanx and hope someone can help me!

Pete Meacham (Unregistered Guest)
12-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Lika - you might register on the "Letterhead Bull Board" http://www.letterhead.com/ubb/. That is a forum for graphic artists and illustrators. Post your question there or perhaps the question has already been addressed. Good Luck. Pete