PDA

View Full Version : The Font counter is a real pain!

toml@starband.net
05-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Just spent about a half hour re-creating a drawing in Parts Wizard for no real good reason, other than the folks at Artcam are paranoid.

I had a sign where I drew the outline of a dolphin and it was in the upper left hand corner above a name. When I tried to select the Dolphin to work on it it would overlap the name and not select properly. Oh well no real problem, I will just temporarily move the name out of the way and proceed.

Wrong! After moving the name the damn thing will not cut. It has too many operations on it now. Naturally I did not find this out until the very last step while trying to generate a tool path.

I understand that this is not the full functioned version of their program. I also don't want to spend a bunch of time doing work that has no real purpose. If the program is to be worth very much this is one feature that needs to be made, at least marginally, useable.

grant@shopbottools.com
05-21-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry that you have so quickly had a frustrating experience with Part Wizard. If I could make a suggestion for the future - now that you know ahead of time that you will be limited in the amount of editing you do on a piece of v carved text, you can generate the text as a place holder, move it around, and replace it with a fresh one so any necessary editing can be done last.

gordon@shopbottools.com
05-22-2002, 01:02 AM
Tom, the steps you've using in moving text should not effect its potential for v-caring. The only operations that should affect this are changes using node editing or adding/removing segments or nodes. In other words, only operations that actually change the font from its original form will eventually accumulate and eventually render the text useless to the V-bit carving tool. I'll have to check this out, in regards to moving text, and have it fixed to help prevent this from happening further. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

toml@starband.net
05-22-2002, 06:55 AM
Thanks Gordon

The text had no editing at all from that aspect. Does re-sizing it with the handles count?

I am having a great time with the program. Using Bobcad for the basic outlines (It is engineering oriented and fussy about intersections, dimensions, etc.) and PW for the drawing stuff I am getting excellent success.