PDA

View Full Version : Raster vs. vector vs. 3D

shoeshine
04-10-2009, 12:11 AM
OK let me preface this by saying I haven't actually recieved my shopbot yet. But I'm too excited not to start designing some files.

My qeustion is creating files in vector vs bitmap depthfiles or creating a true 3D model and exporting a dxf.

I am a graphic designer by trade so I am experienced in creating all these file types, but obviously have never set anything to be cut in the real world.

What is the prefered method for decorative carving?

and sorry if I havent found the extremely detailed post someone has already put up here.

shoeshine
04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Well, as I look at my post I see that that is a ridiculously open ended question...

I guess what I am trying to ask might be better served with an example.

These are a set of 4 steampunk inspired cabinet doors at the conceptual drawing stage. In this example all of the various levels will have flat/90deg edges.

What I am getting at is trying to understand the best file design strategy. Do I take the time to make a 3D model? or should I create a shaded bitmap to describe depth of cut? Or maybe is there a method of describing this in vector format that I dont quite understand yet?

pro's - con's of each method?

again this is more of a question on file design strategy than a specific issue. I would like to hit the ground running, and have a sense of the best way to be thinking of putting together my designs.

ATM my software includes the Adobe suite (this drawing done in Illustrator), an elderly version of Rhino (1.0), Lightwave, and of course Partworks that will be coming with my new BT48.

Anyway, any input or thoughts greatly appreciated.

And I apologize for the newbie-ness of the question but this forum seems so friendly that I thought I'd ask.

Chris

myxpykalix
04-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Chris,
The way that looks best to me would be to use a couple different cutting strategies here.
I would pocket out a recess in the areas noted which would make the other details stick up from the surface then use a vcarve strategy for some of the details. I may want to pick your brain on lightwave. I use it also but i find myself forgetting some of the features and how to get to them.

zeykr
04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Chris,

For the type of example you've shown, you should export vectors from illustrator then use partworks to toolpath using those vectors.

If you have your buddy on order, I believe you can talk to shopbot and get your software sent early so you can start playing with it.

jporter
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I think you will find that PartWorks (comes with BT 48) will be so user friendly that a lot of your questions will take care of themselves. Not being overly down on myself, even I have been able to successfully make carvings (purchased designs) as you show above with my little BT 32. You have done the hard part, that is, the design. Now, if I could only do work like this, I would be complete.... joe

beacon14
04-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Partworks will be your friend and you should be able to start working with it while waiting for your machine to arrive. For Partworks you will need vectors, not bitmaps, although there is a bitmap to vector function within Partworks so if all you have (or get from a customer) is a bitmap you can still make it work.

Once you have your vectors in Partworks you will have the option to "pocket" areas within enclosed vectors (as jack suggests), or "profile" on, inside, or outside a line, as well as a few other toolpath options.

Once you get the software and start playing with it it should make a lot more sense.

shoeshine
04-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks Ken, great suggestion, I will call on Mon.

And thanks All, for the responses, It helps to just know to concentrate on vectors for my intial design ideas.

Clearly, even from a few posts, is that Partworks is the "portal" software (as I guess shoud be obvious from reading the shopbot site) and any design needs to feed into it's capabilities. I will try to get a copy installed post-haste so I will have more intelligent questions to ask.

Jack, I am more than happy to kibbitz on Lightwave, though I am far from expert. I use it mostly to render objects/environments for conceptual drawings. But I am hooked into a community of designers that use it for more robust applications. So if I can't answer a question I'd be glad to pass it along to my "brain trust", all great guys/girls that are into sharing knowledge.

shoeshine
04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
P.S. I am a graphic designer with 15 yrs experience in corporate/agency web design. The last 5-6 years specializing in Flash interface design/development. So, if this is any use to peeps on this forum, I'd be glad to throw in my knowledgebase.

benchmench
04-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Chris,

Thanks for the info on your design skills. Owning a Shopbot CNC really highlights the importance of design/CAD skills since the CNC takes care of much of the fabrication. Nice to know you are on the west coast - I'm in Orange County.