View Full Version : Quality of Cut when converting G-Codes to .sbp

getinold
10-22-2003, 10:55 AM
I will be buying a ShopBot in the next year, but I will need software in advance. I currently use BobCad and I am very comfortable with it.

I have been reading all the posts I can find on the subject of the CAM software. From all that I have read on this forum, I am lead to believe that most CAD/CAM programs automatically create toolpaths, including PartWizard. There is generally not an option to dictate each move, plunge, direction, etc..

I realize that there is a converter from G-code to shopbot, but nobody has said that the file runs well. Does anyone routinely convert G-code files for their shopbot? Are you happy with the results? I don't mind learning a new program, but if it's not necessary, then I don't want to bother.

BTW, I cut mostly 12mm and 18mm birch plywood. I almost exclusively cut all the way through the wood and/or plunge holes. Occasionally I will make a bench cut.

Thanks

Andy Roussey
imgetinold@netscape.net (mailto:imgetinold@netscape.net)

gerald_d
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi Andy

Your title is "Quality of cut....." and this is NOT affected by the type of code and how the code has been converted.

Converting of G-code to SBP files is a routine number crunching exercise with no room for "creativity" by the conversion process. You can convert backwards and forwards from SBP to G-code without any loss of resolution or change in cut quality.

Are you saying that you can already generate satisfactory G-code with your current software? If so, stick with that software. You might find a so-called "post-processor module" that makes your software give you direct SBP code.

gerald_d
10-22-2003, 11:42 AM
. . . . . also use the "Keyword Search" button below and simply type in BobCad. You will find a lot of info on this Forum that will help you.

If you read this post (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/1463.html?#POST8536), you can see that BobCad does have a post-processor for SBP.

getinold
10-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply Gerald.

One of the discussions I read led me to believe that the conversion might leave something to be desired. I am glad to learn otherwise.

BTW, am I correct in my assumption about most software and toolpath generation?

gerald_d
10-23-2003, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't think that someone can use the catchword "CAM" for their product if it cannot write at least G-Code. But I have seen a lot of playing with words by sales guys and there is possibly a CAM package out there somewhere that does not give G-code. In fact, I have just remembered a discussion here on Thermwood router software that only writes a code for their machines - that code is useless anywhere else, unless you purchase an extra conversion module.