View Full Version : What drawing scale do you use?

CHodges@svm-us.com
11-13-2003, 05:58 PM
I am REALLY new to this forum, but I am seriously considering taking the plunge.

I use Micrografx Designer, Technical Edition, which was bought by Corel and renamed to Corel Designer.

Most of the drawings I have done are reduced to some scale like 1/4" = 1' as in architectual drawings. Is this appropriate for a drawing that will be milled "actual size?" If not, then the drawing area of my program would not permit anything near 4' x 8'

I don't think I understand this concept very well as it relates to milling operations.

Thanks!

artisan
11-13-2003, 07:03 PM
I work in Designer (formerly Micrografx)and it's ideal for this work. Simply set your page size (upper left corner of screen) to "custom"... 96" x 48". Voila ! You've got your work area and you can design in "real space". The Bot will scale your drawings in the software if you need....but why bother? It's MUCH simpler to work on a 1 to 1 basis. Save your file as a DXF and use the converter. You can download the new Shopbot Windows software and try it out in virtual space. Good Luck....D

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Charlie,

CAD drawing I am familiar with are all drawn "full scale" they are then put on templates to reduce them for printing and publication.

The ShopBot works in "units" and can be set to run at any scale. Some even use them in METRIC!

Gee, what in the world is happening....

Get to know someone with a ShopBot and/or go to a "Camp". You will meet folks who can answer your questions. Some may be doing similar work to what you plan and can get you started on the right path.

Ron

prosigns
11-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Charlie
I use Flexisign Pro designed for vinyl cutters and large format printers (also works great for Shopbot Designing). It's Basically a CAD program. It can design full size as big as needed. Iv've done 12'x40' billboards. When I print it automatically fits the file to whatever size paper the printer is set for. (to print a proof for the customer). The only time I might have to scale something is when I get an E-mailed attachment that has been reduced to keep file size smaller. I just scale to size in Flexi before converting it to a shopbot file.
Gary