PDA

View Full Version : How do I start sb3.exe from another program

Big John (Unregistered Guest)
04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm trying to evaluate the SB software. I will be writing a program which will invoke the sb3.exe program, probably from visual basic. This feature is a must have for me to purchase a CNC.

I'm trying to test it with the Windows XP "Run" command, so after referencing page 26 of the "ProgrammingHandbookv2.02.pdf"; I type in the RUN box:

"C:\Program Files\Shopbot\Shopbot 3\sb3.exe" C:\SBPARTS\S_demo1.sbp,1,3

I don't have a shopbot, so I'm running in the demo mode.

The program does open, as does the file picking window, but it won't execute the program. It just sits there waiting for me to hit the Open button.

What am I missing?

And is there a newer manual?

Is there an example of a VB program call to sb3.exe

Thanks

ron brown
04-07-2004, 07:12 AM
John,

I think you have gotten to the point where the file asks for "parameters". After these are specified or bypassed, the machine is then started.

I wouldn't want a machine to start on it's own. I'm not sure an insurance company would cover a machine capable of doing some major damage starting on its' own.

Ron

bill.young
04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey John,

I've never tried using the RUN command but use the SHELL command all the time to start the ShopBot software from outside programs and pass it the needed parameters .

We don't have an updated programming manual for the Windows software yet, but if you'll send me your email address I'll be glad to send you info on using the SHELL command and a VB code sample.

Bill

Big John (Unregistered Guest)
04-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Ron,

I specified those parameteres in the run box (see above). SB.EXE even filled in the file name for me at the file picker.

BTW: The machine won't be running with out a human. It's just that this application of a CNC is pretty obtuse, and a custom UI is really what will work best for my needs.

John

ron brown
04-08-2004, 07:09 AM
John,

Parameters in SB3 number 10 on my program:

X.sbp, 1,1,1,1,0,-0.000,0,0,1,1

For part file "X" run one time from 0,0,0 origin 1 time No offset, no plunge, no scaling, no tabbing (not in order of parameters).

HTH,
Ron