PDA

View Full Version : Beveled Letters

andre
06-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Can anyone tell me How to create beveled letters in part works.
Is it possible in partworks?

blackhawk
06-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Andre - Goto to the Vectric website. They have a tutorial on there about creating beveled letters.

sawdust535
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Not sure if this is the best way, but what I do is use a V-Bit with a V-Carve/Engraving toolpath using the "flat depth" feature and select "Flat area clearance tool", usually an End Mill. You will need to create a border around the text to contain the clearance area. The bevel will depend on the angle of the V-Carve bit.

andre
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
thanks Brad I will
I'm guessing it has to do with v carving the area around the letter with a flat bottom depth.

andre
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
thanks george

andre
06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
So in part works there is no option for sharp outside and inside corners when machining outside vectors with a v bit, Like there is in V-carve pro.
And when you do an offest of vectors and v-carve that space, partworks leaves rounded out side corners. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this to get sharp outside corners?

sawdust535
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Are you using a V-Carve/Engraving toolpath or a Profile toolpath. If the lettering has any sharp outside or inside corners, they should machine as sharp corners at the material surface. The relieved lower surface will look rounded on outside corners.

andre
06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I am doing that and the lower surface is rounded. how do you create a sharp corner all the way down.

sawdust535
06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Good question. I think it might have to do with the shape of a V-bit. The edge of the bit follows the path like a straight bit, but when rounding an outside sharp corner, it needs to take a rounded path to avoid cutting beyond the path, so it leaves a sharp corner on the upper surface and a rounded appearance at the deeper surface. Maybe someone else has a method of leaving the outside corners square at the pocketed surface.

andre
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh Boy do I feel dumb
There are tabs next to the "tabs buttons in profile tool path that give you the options for sharp inside and outside corners.
They are shaded out so they are easy to ignore.
Duhh!