View Full Version : Simple furniture parts

jporter
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Folks; can any of you help me with my desire to use my BT 32 as a means of making simple furniture parts, such as rails and stiles with mortises and tenons? I have Part Works software and can draw out the rail, but how do you make a tenon on each end of it? As you may remember from my first posts, I am new to CNC machining and software, so any responses should be in the form of talking to a 4 year old, and as usual, I will not be offended. Thanks, Joe.

rob_bell
07-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Joseph-

I have a nice little article in the works on just this subject - but until then here's a couple starter points. First off take a quick look at an example of one type of cnc tenon I designed. Go to 52:37 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aLVCn5nLZw

Doing this type of work almost always requires putting parts back onto the bot for secondary machining. So being able to accomplish that effectively is an important skill. In the video I verbally describe how I accomplish this.

See if that makes enough sense to get you started.

-Rob

tparr
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
I am also interested in your video. How do you use the 52:37? When I put it into a search, it gave me videos that were posted at that time.tom

myxpykalix
07-14-2008, 05:46 PM
just click on the link he posted and it takes you to a youtube video called "Cool SketchUp Stuff" after it starts playing move the slider bar to 52:00 minutes and start watching

rob_bell
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Thomas-

Click the above link and then slide the video controller thumb until the elapsed time is 52:37. Thats where the tenon portion starts.

-Rob

Gary Campbell
07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Joseph..
I made a jig to cut dovetails, but also have cut mortise and tenons on it. Here is the post: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/28434.html#POST64214 There will be more on this jig in the future.

Here is a pic of a Teak table end being mortised.:

In order to cut a tenon you will have to be able to cut with the material off the end of the table in a vertical position. I am not sure that this can done on a buddy, but am sure that someone will chime in.

Thomas...
click on the video and use the slider to advance the video to 52:37 on the timeline.
Gary

jporter
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I will study the video from Rob and try to figure it out. I can draw the part in PartWorks, but, as you all know, the tenons are on a lower plane than the rest of the part. That is what has got me stumped. I also realize that the piece will have to be turned over to continue to machine it. I think Rob's video addresses that function. I did seem to have it drawn in SketchUp but found out that the free version of SketchUp doesn't allow you to export, not that I know how to do that anyway. Gary, I will study your post and try to figure it out also. Again, if any of you have any suggestions, remember, you are talking to a 4 year old from the Baby Boomer generation, so please don't leave anything out. Thanks again for your help, joe

rob_bell
07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Joseph-

Sometimes some skills follow others. In my experience being able to make a lap joint with a cnc tool is a prerequisite for making a mortise and tenon joint. A prerequisite is something that you should do before you do something else. Maybe you should try your hand at making a simple frame with lap joints first and then post a picture. I'm sure everyone here would enjoy seeing the results of you efforts. Then you'll be on your way to haviing the skills you need to make the more challenging mortise and tenon.

-Rob

jporter
07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
10-4, Rob, thanks for the come-back. That sounds like an excellent idea. Now, to make the lap, would I treat that as a pocket cut? And, if so, how....never mind, I think I will go home and try it first, then ask questions. Thanks, joe

rob_bell
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
yes, pocket. And be sure to oversize lap pocket profile so as to avoid any little radius nubs on your part. Good Luck.