PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plot a poker table shape?

teddy27
11-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to shopbot and I wanted to plot/draw a poker table using Parts Wizard 2
As I was laying out two cicles, one on each side and then I draw connecting lines on each side to represent the side of the poker table. I was wondering how do you remove the inner half circle?

If this an easier way to draw out my tables using another software also. I also have corel draw 10 or Fireworks that I could use draw a poker table using vectors?

regards

Ted

kirkkelsey
11-26-2007, 02:33 AM
I prefer to do my design work with Alibre Design. Once you work with a parametric modeling package with constraints, you will never go back. It is so nice to select a constraint an make a line tangent, perpendicular or parallel. While Object Snaps are great and similar in 2D CAD, the ability to change the design by just changing the value of a dimension is even better. And you can view your design as a full 3 dimensional model.

I have worked with some users of Corel Draw and I understand there are some issue with DXF files from Corel Draw. Search the postings in this forum for discussions on this subject.

I routinely export layered DXF files created from my Alibre Designs and the layering even saves me the trouble of tool pathing the individual DXF file vectors.

While there is a learning curve with any software, go with a CAD package designed to create designs and not graphics. While my favorite is Alibre Design, you can download the free Xpress version and probably create everything you want to manufacture on the ShopBot without having to buy any additional software. Also, search the internet for other free CAD software such as a version of ProgeCAD. While not parametric, it is useful to read AutoCAD compatible drawings and do vector drawings for import into Parts Wizard. Also, ProgeCAD is based on IntelliCAD and uses a command structure similar to AutoCAD. It is hard to maintain proficency with too many programs, so selection of the programs you use is important.

If you want a poker table, you can use the multi-sided figure tool, select the number of sides, and select the option to construct the figure inside or outside a defined radius. It becomes so easy that all my coursed in drafting and descriptive geometry are going to waste. No need to know how to do graphical layouts, determine points of tangency, or be able to project from a face for true dimensions.

Hope this is of some help with determining the drafting requirements for your use.

Brady Watson
11-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Ted,
Just use the Node Editing mode (black arrow icon) and remove the spans in the circle you don't want. There is no need to draw the straight spans. Simply join & then close the shape using the 'join with straight line' & 'close with straight line' tools. There is no 2D shape that you cannot draw in PW2. If you purchased your machine in the past 2yrs, you should have received a PW Training video. If not, you can buy one here: www.CNCVideos.com (http://www.CNCVideos.com)

-B

knight_toolworks
11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
give me an email I have the top and the lip all drawn out. with alignment holes and everything., takes two sheets of mdf to make.

teddy27
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies regarding my problem.

I make poker tables for a living and because of the demand I have purchased a used prt to use for the cutting processes.
Kirk and Brady thanks for the insight, I will look in to purchasing a video.

Steve I have e-mailed you...

regards

Ted