PDA

View Full Version : Mac CAD software

gpari
07-01-2007, 05:14 PM
All you mac weenies out there, I just picked up a copy of ViaCAD from www.PunchCAD.com (http://www.PunchCAD.com)

I'm a AutoCAD junkie and use a PC at the shop. But I have a 21" iMac at home and like to diddle in my freetime. So I've been looking for something on the mac that wouldn't require me to bootup in Bootcamp. I borrowed a copy of Xenon and Graphite from Ashlar-Vellum, and while they are extremely powerful, they are complicated and slow on my machine (no universal binary support). ViaCAD has basically the same GUI as the Ashlar-Vellum products (someone told me that the programmers jumped ship and created ViaCAD, who knows).

It's taking me a while to ween myself away from having a command line and using menu buttons instead. But so far, I'm pretty impressed with it. Best part, it was only $99.

Standard Disclaimer: I don't know anyone who works there, I don't own the company, yadda yadda. Just a happy customer.

I believe they have it for other platforms as well, but most PC users can easily find something they are happy with.

Anyways, thanks for listening

Gabe

waynelocke
07-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I have used a program called Vectorworks for years. It has both a Mac and PC version. I think that it costs about $1200 now. I design in 3d with it and basically take screen shots of the different views of the model for the elevations. It also does photo quality renderings. It is a great program but, like all of them, requires time and dedication to learn.

If you use Autocad at your shop, why not get Parallels to run Windows on the Mac. It is $69 and does not require booting like Bootcamp.

Check out Codeweaver, http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac. It is supposed to let you run many Windows programs on the Mac without installing or booting into Windows. It says it will run Autocad and Artcam natively on the Mac and is only $60.

Wayne

waynelocke
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I red the site wrong. Autocad and Artcam may not have been tested so may or may not run. I do think that they offer a money back offer if your program doesn't run.

Wayne

gpari
07-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I have Bootcamp and Parallels, AutoCAD works fine in Bootcamp, but is extremely slow in Parallels.

I'll have to check out Codeweaver, especially if it can run AutoCAD native.

Thanks,

Gabe