PDA

View Full Version : Seeking utility/technique for "debugging" SB code

chwartisans
10-24-2002, 09:41 PM
I've experienced some unusual (& disappointing, unexpected, alarming...), seemingly random z axis nosedives recently - have been using ArtCam Pro - and want to check the z depth commands in the code before running the tool (air cutting doesn't help when you have a router grinding into the tabletop after standing by the machine, which is frantically pacing through amped up jogs and moves).

I was going to open the part file in notepad, and then export the code into excel (using comma delimited filter), and "query" it to show me every line with a z value in excess (beyond the -0- depth/tabletop surface) of the thickness of the material being cut.

Anybody have a better way, or utility that I could use to import the file and have it pull up suspect lines before I run the part file?

I know this whole business should be unnecessary, but I am spending more time staring at the machine, with my hand over the space bar / s key, and the other on a panic stop.

Or, does somebody know why ArtCam is producing these individual lines of death code?

Thanks!

grant@shopbottools.com
10-25-2002, 09:48 AM
I have a suspicion that it isn't. What I suspect is happening, especially if you are noting "frantic" move speeds, is that the z axis move speed is set too high for the tool to maintain position. The move speeds, including plunge rate, are set on the bit you selected in ArtCAM. These values are written into the part file. This is very useful if set correctly in your tool library, and troublesome if it isn't. Take a look at those numbers. To do this, go back to the .art file you were working with, and open up the toolpath in question. Go to the button for "select tool" and click it. You are now in the bit library. Find the bit you used, and highlight it. This should display all of the parameters for that bit on the right side of the tool library dialog. You can hit the "edit" button on the far right to change them. Make sure your units are inches per second, and that the values are reasonable with respect to the capabilities of the ShopBot. If you have any questions about how to come up with reasonable values, it would probably be better that we had a conversation over the phone. With regard to your code editing question - this can be done in any text editing program as well as using the FE command in ShopBot Workshop. If there is some value that needs to be replaced throughout the file, you can do a search and replace operation to affect the change. Feel free to call if any of this is unclear or you would like to discuss it further.

1-888-680-4466

cncrouting@attbi.com
03-31-2003, 09:54 PM
rather than doing the double import thing, just have excel open the .sbp, then scan for patterns with a macro, reporting line number, value, and a counter for the number of occurences. If you are not a hack, send me a sample file ( with a known bad value), tell me what your hit criteria are (what constitutes a bad value), then give me 24-48 hours (depending on length of honey do list) and I'll have it turned around for you.

Regards,

Neil