PDA

View Full Version : CC enhancement request

bcammack
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
It would be very helpful if I could define the end point of a circle past the start point.

For instance, I'm cutting out a sink bowl cut out via the elipse functionality of the CC command, I'm using the spiral plunge, but I can't strike a balance on it so I don't take too aggressive a cut as I plunge, but leave enough "meat" for the final bottom pass. There's a certain time element for the whole process as well, so I just can't have it go round-and-round-and-round without consequence.

I'd like to start the cut at 180° and end it at 630° with no pull-up so I can then plunge to 0 and run a final bottom pass on the remaining 1/4" of material.

I'll probaby be able to circumvent this by revising the plunge vs. repetitions to end up at the 180° point so I can plunge to 0" and do my own bottom pass.

I'm dealing with a dense, somewhat brittle material that, if I try to do a bottom pass on too thin cross-section, it will fracture into the edge of the finished cut behind the bit making the finishers have to patch the flaw.

magic
06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Can you flip it over?

bcammack
06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Cannot flip it over. It's to undermount a solid-surface vanity bowl and that is recessed into a rebate, so the piece is routed upside down. Our regular vitreous china undermount bowl vanity tops get routed right-side up so this isn't an issue.

Brady Watson
06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Brett,
Can't you do this in VCP or PartWorks with a bit more control over the cut? I often let CAM generate the code & then hack out the portions I don't want & check it in preview and styrofoam.

-B

bcammack
06-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Below is what I finally ended up with. It's called from the main program that has already loaded up all of the necessary reference variables.

I use SbEdit pretty much these days, Brady.

Turned out that there weren't really any issues with tool marks, etc., because after they bond in the sink bowl, they flip it over and run a straight-cutting router bit with a tapered, plastic bearing at the bottom to clean out the bowl hole to finished dimension. (also necessary because none of the solid surface bowls ever cure to exactly the same shape.)

' 1/2" BIT VERSION OF PROGRAM!!!
' For cutting the vanity top UPSIDE DOWN!!!