PDA

View Full Version : Why does this file import wrong?

knight_toolworks
12-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I imported this into vcarve and did not notice the error till after it was cut. well till my customer pointed it out. the middle piece the d shaped piece with the notches. the center should be another d shape. but the curves are opposite. the first pic is directly imported. the second is when I opened it in the save version (someone else's computer) turbocad. I just opened it then saved it as a different file and it imported fine.

4606 (10.5 k)

andyb
12-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Steve,
I would ask this on the Vectric forum. If I remember correctly someone had the same problem a few months back. I think it was a problem with the way the CAD package saved the file. You can also send the DXF file to support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) and they can tell you the problem.

Andy B.

srwtlc
12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Steve,

From what I can see, it might be a dxf version problem. If I open it in my latest beta version of VCP, it looks like your top image. If I open it in TurboCad or VectorXT, it looks like your bottom image.

If I save it from TC as dxf r14, r2000, r2004/5, it works fine in VCP. If saved as dxf r2007, then it outright crashes VCP.

A saved dxf from VectorXT also works fine in VCP.

Ask whoever made the file to save it as a lower version of dxf. I generally stick with r14. This can generally be done in the "save as" dialog box (TC has a button for setup when saving as).

version r14 dxf

4609 (30.2 k)

beacon14
12-16-2007, 11:48 AM
I've had an occasional problem importing elliptical arcs into VCarve. Usually if I convert the arc to a vector (in DesignCad) the file will import fine.

knight_toolworks
12-16-2007, 01:11 PM
this is turbocad 11 and looking at the default it was saved as r2004/5 but no biggie changing it to a bit older format to make sure.

kfitz
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
If it's TurboCad, it's probably caused by the workplane bug it has had since v5. Before you save, "select all" and "place on workplane".