PDA

View Full Version : Rams 3d

brian_harnett
05-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I have been very happy with using rams cam software,
I use rams gold. It cost 1100.00 and in my opinion is more versatile than artcam insignia.
On that note Rams is a Cam only program you can not edit vectors like artcam products.
I have used insignia at my former job the interface is pretty but in my opinion it does not offer enough for the money.
Rams has 3d capability plus it V Carves Flawlessly.
I am just curious and wonder how many shop botters use Rams, it does not seem to get mentioned much.
There customer support is great also.

joe
05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Brian,

Rams was my first G Code software. I limped along with it for several years untill the purchased ArtCam's Insignia. I don't dislike RAMS it's kind of infintile.

One of the initial problems with Rams was it's history of being real unstable. The new owners made some improvements but it's very limited in editing, tool options, prism letters, to mention only a few.

When it was first offered by Ford, the support was fair, but that slipped away fast, then their guarateed of no extra charge for updates fell by the wayside.

I have the latest version which I would gladly sell for 1/2 the reatil price.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

brian_harnett
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Well I Guess it would be infantile if I did not know how to use other design software.
My point was for experienced shop botters that are somewhat computer literate, instead of depending on one program of design and execution.
I use adobe Illustrator and many cad programs to get my work done and have found insignia lacking in the artistic area myself.

paco
05-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I ran into installation issue with RAMS DEMO and the support staff turn back on me saying I "should look for something else that would work on my PC"... which I did... promptly!

joe
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Brian,

I have to agree with about the need to be have good skills in a professional design program. I trust you aren't suggesting that I don't have those skills.

A quick review of our product line should clue you in that my designs don't come from as simple a program as Artcam.

Please post some of your creative work. We could have lots of fun exchanging design and production proposals.

Joe

brian_harnett
05-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Joe I did not try to insult you.
I am just puzzled that a program that I have been using with a lot of success seems to have little exposure here
You can visit My website to see some of my work It is in my user profile. I have lots more I have not posted
on my site but lately I have been to busy in the shop to worry about it.

fleinbach
05-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Nice work Brian.

pete
05-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Brian - nice work - what material(s) do you use for your signs pls. Thanks, Pete

carl
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I need some help with a question about Rams Gold. I was wondering if they have a good post processer for Shop Bot or if you have to use the G converter to get a Shop Bot file? Also, has anyone used this for indexor work? I would appreciate any information! Thanks, Carl

srwtlc
07-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Carl,

Yes, Rams does have a post processor for Shopbot. I can't answer about the indexer part, but I would think so due to the fact that Rams is used in jewelry making.