PDA

View Full Version : Paco's Surfacing Routine

mwpfeifer
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Hopefully I am posting this in the right place.

I recently downloaded the surfacing routine that Paco has available on his blog and after a few false starts have successfully used it to surface some rough slabs I'm hoping to carve. The problem I am having is when I finish surfacing a piece and end the routine, secure a different slab on the table of my BT 48, and reload the routine it will not restart at the begining so I can re define the physical size of the new slab. I have to completely exit the ShopBot 3 control software and reload the routine. It acts like the memory locations that store the variables you enter from the keyboard are not clearing. I have reviewed the code and can not find anything I think is wrong. My experience with programing in Basic is rather dated but from what I remember "End" cleared the memory locations. What am I missing?? Anyone have any suggestions?
Mike

Gary Campbell
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Mike...
The variables "persist" until overwritten, cleared with the SL command or the SB3 software is closed.

You shouldnt have to exit SB3, just open the file again to re input the sizes (variables).

Another way is to "catch" the file prior to the end statement. I am not sure how close to your version this is, but I will show the additions to make it work:

>>> signifies my additions (remove before use)

>>>INPUT:
INPUT "LENGTH OF BOARD (X-axis)" &length
INPUT "WIDTH OF BOARD (Y-axis)" &width
INPUT "DEPTH OF FIRST PASS" &depth
INPUT "WIDTH PER PASS" &step

INPUT "SET BIT AT LOWER LEFT CORNER OF MATERIAL. ZERO TO TOP OF BOARD. [K]FOR KEYBOARD MODE or [ENTER] TO BEGIN" &key
&key="&key"
IF &key=K THEN GOSUB KEY
'ALL READY & DUST COLLECTION ON?
PAUSE
Z2
MS,2.5
BEGIN:
SO,1,1
PAUSE 1
&yvalue=0
JZ,.02
M3,5,0,-&depth
MX,0
LOOP:
MX,&length
&yvalue=&yvalue+&step
MY,&yvalue
MX,0
&yvalue=&yvalue+&step
IF &yvalue>&width THEN GOTO FINISHED
MY,&yvalue
GOTO LOOP
FINISHED:
JZ,.25
SO,1,0
JZ,1
&depth=0
INPUT "ANOTHER PASS? ENTER NEW TOTAL DEPTH OR [0] FOR NONE" &depth
IF &depth=0 THEN GOTO END
J2,0,0
GOTO BEGIN
KEY:
SK
RETURN
END:
>>>MSGBOX(RE-ENTER NEW SIZES?,4, RE_ENTER OR END)
>>>IF &msganswer = YES THEN GOTO INPUT
END

Gary Campbell
11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Mike...
I just reread your post... I am sure I dont have the same version that you have. You may have to place an [SL] command in the header to insure that variables are clear. (in your version)

mwpfeifer
11-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks Gary.
So do you enter the SL command manually after the routine ends? I don't see it imbedded in your routine. Seems like one should put this command just before the END.

paco
11-21-2008, 10:17 AM
When the routine is run again (after stopping it) it will prompt to skip the settings or not. If you enter Y (for yes), it will use the previously used settings. If you enter N (for no), it will askk for all the settings like the first time.

If you have multiple blank for the same size, you will like this feature...

Does that help?

mwpfeifer
11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Paco,
If I respond to the prompt asking if I want to run it again with a "N" the routine appears to end. I then load the routine to surface a different size board and the routine starts as if I had entered a "Y". I don't get the prompts to input new X and Y dimensions.

I'm wondering if one of the SB 3 defaults may not be set right but, haven't a clue which one that might be. I am going to try the SL command tomorrow and if that works then I'll attempt to figure out how to insert it into the routine.

beacon14
11-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Michael,

If you will e-mail your file to me I'll take a look at it. I also have an improved version just for slabs which I can send you.

David B
AKA beacon14 at comcast dot net

paco
11-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Michael, answer the prompt "NO" as to not skip the settings "replay".

wberminio
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Paco

I just used your Surfacing routine for the first time today.It's working great on quartersawn white oak ,as I am write this. The problem I noticed is if i put a dimension for y eg. 13.5" it only is surfacing about 11".I'm sure I missing something.

Erminio

paco
11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Depends on the cutter diameter and the stepover. It's not a 100% reliable algorithm like a true CAM pocketing toolpath. I remember considering a display of the calculation of the total wideness covered by the routine. Maybe someone would like to upgrade the routine with a such feature... it's been a moment since this board haven't been animated with SB code programming. I generally set a wider dimension regarding this "issue".

wberminio
11-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Paco

I just set a wider dimension as you said.
It's working great!

mwpfeifer
11-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Paco,
If I respond to the prompt asking if I want to run it again with a "NO" as you suggested rather than an "N" the routine responds as if I entered a Y and continues running.

This afternoon I ran the routine a number of times and whan I finished a board I entered an "N" which stopped the routine, then I closed the window that keeps track of how much material you have removed. I then entered the [SL] command, put a new board on the table and loaded the routine. It started properly allowing me to enter the new dimensions.

That beats exiting SB Control SW and reloading it.

Gary Campbell
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Michael, Paco, et al...
I was at the shop and retrieved the modified file I got from David B. some time back. I added the following things: "normal" (the OEM) 2 direction planing, 1 direction (from the outside in, small stepover) fast operating little input on table surfacing and vacuum the table. The file also does a width check (for Paco)after every planing stroke. It also has a "reset" for multiple pieces of same dimensions. Here it is to cut and paste, or email for a copy. Adjust the move speeds to fit your machine as we rip that 2.5" planer over just about everything. You will also notice that some of the input lines are "REMED" out . adjust yours accordingly.
Gary

'SURFACER and VACUUM
'------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'ShopBot Router File in Inches.
' File for surfacing Spoilboards or lumber too large for a planer
' If using 1 direction mode.. lumber should be placed 2 inches away from the X & Y zero edges as offsets are used.
' 1 direction mode uses only 1/3 of the bit diameter from both board edges to the center to reduce shear from the cutter. (conventional cut)
' 2 direction starts at Y=0 and rasters in the X direction using the stepover increments.
' 1 Direction Mode will plane 1/3 bit diameter only with the grain to help eliminate tearout of open grain woods.
' 1 Direction Mode will offset zero's off the edge of the board 1/3 bit diameter in Y and 1.5" in X and extend the cut
' & Y move off the ends of the board. Cuts go 1/3 Dia. from outside on each edge towards center.
' For additional passes input the amount for the next pass. Program adds this amount to the first pass.
' If RESET is selected, original bit zero and first pass depth are used to re run file MAKE SURE MATERIAL IS SIMILAR THICKNESS!!!
' These move speeds and large bit stepovers require VERY square tool!!
' Original program Copyright 2005 by David Buchsbaum, unauthorized use prohibited.
'+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++
' Variables added 1/25/2008 By Gary Campbell All copyright laws apply. Unathorized use, sale or distribution is prohibited.
' Added 1 or 2 direction planing 3/4/08
' Added Table mode 6/2/08
' Added Vacuum 6/6/08
' Added reset 7/8/08
'+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++
'
'-----------------------------------PROGRAM VARIABLES-----------------------------------------------
'
'&add_depth

mwpfeifer
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Paco, David,
I elected to download the routine from Paco's Blog one more time and reload it on my labtop. For what ever reason the routine has been working as advertised all day today. I don't know what was going on but thank you all for your help.
If it wasn't for this forum I expect a large majority of us would be bald in short order!!!

Of course then there are those of us that were already there before the BOT!
Mike