PDA

View Full Version : Splitting file

hh_woodworking
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a 48 x48 prt and need to make 48x96 sign The text will over lap the center. Is there a way to split the file in part works. If not open for suggestion on how to do this.
Ed Harrall

paco
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
File sampler (http://www.shopbottools.com/LabFiles/FileSampler.htm)

brucehiggins
07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
If file sampler won't work for your sign you can set up your sign in partworks with the X,Y origin over 48" (centered on the bottom of the sign). Then make a pencil mark at the bottom middle of your sign blank. Now create cutting paths for groups of text that will fit your 48" x 48" prt. To cut them position your sign blank however you need to for one of your cutting paths and zero X and Y to the pencil mark. You can make as many cutting path files as needed - just always zero your bit to the pencil mark where ever you have it positioned. Of course you need to make sure the bottom of your sign blank is always parallel with your X axis. I drew lines with my router mounted sharpie on the shopbot table which I use to align the sign blanks.
I just made a 60" x 84" sign with an interesting profile on my 48" x 48" prt. I manually chopped up the profile sbp file into 4 quadrants. 2 30" x 84" pieces were carved and then glued together. I had the x,y origin set in the middle of the material.
Bruce

brucehiggins
08-01-2008, 12:05 AM
BTW, here's the 60" x 84" sign I made on my 4' x 4' shopbot.