>SC,1

Another way to hack the ShopBot file (after the
G-code conversion) would be to find EVERY
carriage return/newline character and replace this
is the newline/carriage return, SC,1 and
newline/carriage return. This will effectively
put an SC command on every other line. You will
get smooth cuts, but you will also have NO
ramping, so your machine may not work either!

Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe
someone out there can write a ShopBot part program
optimizer that know when to insert a SC,1 command
along with other things.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centuryinter.net (mailto:bwclark@centuryinter.net)

giggalo
05-21-1999, 10:39 PM
I was thinking about rewriting the shopbot software for my own use but thought it best just to write a whole new software, I wrote a simple converter a year ago that would convert dxf,plt,to sbp, it worked fine till we fixed the shopbot software.

Ron

seaside@esva.net
05-22-1999, 11:41 AM
I thought that the SC command was ON by default, and had to be manually turned off with a SC,0 command. What's turning it off?

Bill

starlightH@worldnet.att.net
05-23-1999, 12:20 AM
Bill i am using SHOPBOT SW 1.8
do i need to move up to 2.8????
sean

bill@seasidesmallcraft.com
05-23-1999, 11:09 AM
Sean,

I think the final version 2 software is pretty close to being released, and you might want to wait for that. I've been using the beta 8 version since it first hit the download page, and have had very few problems with it. Betas are always a gamble though, and I must admit that the first time I cut a $140 sheet of marine plywood with the beta software I was just a TINY bit nervous!

As for your SC problem, the version 2 software has a setting for threshold angle ( I think the default is 115 degrees), that determines where ramping occurs. If the angle between two line segments is greater than the threshold angle, the segments cut continuously, if it's less then there is a slowdown ramp before and an acceleration ramp after. It sure beats having to enter all those SC commands.

Bill

mark
06-01-1999, 03:46 PM
Hi folks, Shopbot customer services informs me that someone out there is using ARTCAM 3d software to design products. Could they please contact me via email Mark@walkerframes.freeserve.co.uk (mailto:Mark@walkerframes.freeserve.co.uk)
Thanks Mark.

ron_cleaver
01-26-2001, 07:54 AM
I second that request. I'd like to know more about ArtCAM too. My email address is rcleaver@ida.org (mailto:rcleaver@ida.org)

alton
01-27-2001, 01:40 AM
For more about ArtCam try this website.
http://www.3drelief.unleash.com/3dRelief%20Home%20Page.htm

Alton

sgbrown@ucsd.edu
06-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I've been doing work cutting 3d models using
software such as Desk Proto and Surf Cam to generate g-code. The problem is, they don't generate files that cut the way I would like to.
I'm looking to write my own DXF to g-code generator. I've been looking for any information that describes some of the theory behind this.
Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sheldon Brown

bwclark@centurytel.net
06-10-2001, 06:46 PM
Sheldon Brown,

Well, not 100% sure what you are asking here. Do you want to rewrite a DXF or G-code converter or are you wanting to write a program like DeskProto or SurfCam? If you just want to write a DXF to G-code program, a company called Yeager Automation has a free open source converter that you can download and change as you see fit.
http://www.yeagerautomation.com/ace.htm

Now, if you are trying to rewrite a Deskproto or Surfcam program, you better plan on spending some serius time with the computer.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

rootam@cantv.net
01-14-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm trying to convert a G-code into a '.sbp' part file. I can have the G-code in '.tap' or '.txt' format. I'm following the instructions on the manual.
FC: filename, but always get the same message.
"Bad coomand or file name"
How should i do to convert a G-code into a '.sbp' part file

pauln
01-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Roosevelt,

Please post your complete file name.

I've seen an error like this if your file name has any special charaters in them, like even a "-", or if you have a file name that is more than eight charaters.

Paul N.

rootam@cantv.net
01-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Paul, the name of files is:

TAP1.TXT
TAP.TAP
OP010.TAP

THANKS

pauln
01-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Roosevelt,

None of those names should present the error.
Another thing to look at would be the location of the files. Do you use the \SBPARTS directory, and if so, are the g-code files in that directory. You can look in the "shopbot.ini" file, and near the bottom of that file, you should see an entry that looks like:
FS,C:\SBPARTS\ or whatever the name is for the directory that holds your files.

If all thats ok, then it would be helpful to see the content of one of the gcode files. It just might have some comments of something at the start of the file, that the coversion program does not like. You could test that, by simply using the FE commant, look at the file, and delete anything that is NOT gcodes from the start of the file.

What program did you use to create the gcode files?

Hope that helps.
Paul