PDA

View Full Version : Dxf file errors wehn using vcarve what are they?

knight_toolworks
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Some of the dxf files I get have problems in vcarve. When click on a blank spot you see this hollow box surrounded by 4 solid squares. If you hit delete do it again till they are all gone it is fine. But I would like to know what causes them so I can tell my customers what not to have going on in the drawing. Here is one that has three of them. Click on a blank spot and they show up.

4654 (8.7 k)

fleinbach
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Steve,

I opened it and everything worked fine as far as I could tell. Can you be more specific. I'm not exactly understanding what you mean by a blank spot. Do you mean anywhere on the screen? If so I could not reproduce it.

knight_toolworks
08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
actually you need to click on a line. click on the bottom left curve and the little error will show on the right end of the top curved line.

Brian Moran
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Steve,
the 3 'features' in the file are zero length entities. I'm afraid I'm not sure how they are generated, perhaps someone with AutoCad could tell us what they are? Future versions of VCarve Pro will just ignore these entites when loading the file.

Brian

srwtlc
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Steve,

It looks like the design has some "Splines" in it. Perhaps it was made in AutoCad or TurboCad etc. The customer should explode them before saving/sending them.

There also seems to be a bunch missing. At least with the zip that I downloaded.

Here it is from TurboCad after exploding the splines.
Guitar

4655 (22.8 k)

knight_toolworks
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
this one I am, not sure how they made it bu I have had turbocad files with it.
I did not want the customer getting upset that I uploaded their whole file so I removed some of it.
but it is good to know how to deal with it now. it can really throw you off when your trying to work with the file.

srwtlc
08-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I kind of figured that was why.