PDA

View Full Version : Z home position

mnaughton
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
My students design and v-carve simple eps graphics in Partsworks. The last group of students had a z-home postion of 7.10". The group in a different class had a z-home of 2.00". The designs that were done before that were all at .75". I am not sure how the z-home was changed since it is grayed out. How do we change the z-home position in Partsworks to be consistent for all the student files?
Thanks,
Mike

tmerrill
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Mike

If you go to the Toolpaths section on the right side of the screen and click on the upper left icon you will open the Material Setup menu.

The rapid clearance gap sets the Z height when jogging, the Z home position value sets the position you are looking for.

This value can be easily changed by a student and should be verified often. Maybe come up with a checkoff list that the student must verify before making a cut?

Tim

mnaughton
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks, I'll add that to the check list

bill.young
02-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Mike,

I started working on a checklist program a while back, thinking that it might be handy for schools and small shops. I haven't gotten much feedback on it so I'm afraid that not many people have tried it (or that it doesn't work at all and they're just trying to spare my feelings!), but you can find it in ShopBot Labs if you're interested.

http://www.shopbottools.com/LabFiles/Checkit.htm

Bill

myxpykalix
02-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I usually go thru a mental checklist before i start a file, I know you may not be able to teach that.
I'm not sure how to implement this but the popup boxes that now come up when starting a file..."set router speed to XXXX" and " turn router/spindle on" prompts that you have to click thru to start a file, couldn't you add a few boxes like "Bit set at 0,0?" and "Is Zzero bit height set"? that they would have to click thru.