PDA

View Full Version : CAM Drawing Conventions

dvanr
09-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I'd like some opinions, if their are any, on drawing conventions that work well for CAM.

I have never had any formal training on what the conventions are for CAD for making parts ( some schematic experience but that is even a bit hazy)

Does it even matter?

I have started some small test projects and have wondered if there is a right way or a wrong way about setting up the CAD files.

Cheers

marshawk
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Dick,

I am a trial and error type kind of guy. When learning a new piece of software, I like to design something and put it on the machine right away. I use cheap insulation foam for testing because #1 it is cheap and #2 won't break a bit.

My brother has better luck using the tutorials that come with a program. There is a lot to be said for that but, being the impatient guy that I am, I like to get started quickly.

A couple of techniques that I use:

The first step is to set up the program so that the unit measurements are easy for me to read. That includes setting the program for standard vice metric and establishing a useable grid spacing.

The next is to make sure that I know how big, in inches, is the area that I am looking at on the screen. You can draw the Queen Mary using the full screen, but if the full size of the screen translates to 1 inch in real-time, you will come out with a very small carving.

As much as I can, I use 2D or 3D previews and render as I am working. Better to make changes now instead of four steps down the line.

Since I am drawing in 3D, the function I need is probably there. It's up to me to find it.

Draw something simple first, and put it through the process of making it a toolpath and then carve it using the aforementioned cheap foam. Watch the machine as it makes all of the cuts. Maybe this will give you a better clue as to how to order your lines in your drawing.

Like I said, there is alot to be said about tutorials, but I like to get down and dirty with a new program right away. If I find that I am completely hosed, I break out the book and start learning.

But that's just me...

dvanr
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi Chip,

Thanks for the feedback.

Part of the problem I am experiencing is that the drawings I make for parts wizard can be ambiguous as to what needs to be cut and at what depth. I have now worked out that for my own records I need to do the whole drawing (isometric style) and usually you get the whole drawing . So working out what gets cut where isn't as hard as I first thought (blindingly obvious tends to be invisible to me from time to time)

The other half of the problem though is do operators keep records of how they cut the part? If so what do you keep track of and how? Cutter, speed, and ???.

gerald_d
09-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Dick, when drawing your project in CAD, use various named "layers" for the different aspects. ("layers" in CAD do not mean things cut at different depths). You can then switch layers on/off to see only the necessary.

Like when drawing house plans - there is a layer each for electrical, plumbing, drainage, roofing, brickwork, etc.

marshawk
09-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Dick, I tend to keep track of parts and cutting conventions by simply using folders and file names. All of the other data, such as cutting speed is kept in the finished .sbp file.

When making a part for a customer, I make a folder for them. If they want a cabinet done with 4" and 5" pilasters, for example, will name the file which contains the cabinet sides "cabinetsides.art" The pilasters will be "4inpilasters.art" and so forth. I come up with some pretty long names for files at times, but I have all the information that I need, at a glance, when searching for a specific file.

When transferring a cut file to the shopbot, I need to cut it doen to only 8 letters. This is not a problem since the cut files only go to the customers folder on the shopbot computers and only finished cut files go into the folder.

Sorta the "KISS" principle, but it works for me.

And yes... this takes a bunch of space. We have recently reached the 1 terabyte mark for storage at our shop.

Cheers!

Chip

dvanr
09-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

It's something that I'll have to give some thought to, before the generated files become a disorganised pile.