PDA

View Full Version : Workflow questions with 3D DXF

team08
07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Okay, so I have logged at least 5 hours of searching here, and read tons of info, even got the demo CD! But I am still confused on the workflow. I design in solidworks mostly, tried the PW demo and didnt like it (since I am not used to it). I hear that importing a DXF is a nightmare, since toolpaths are made somewhat randomly. So what software do I use to import my 3d model from solidworks and create toolpaths? I really dont want to spend tons of money for my workflow to happen. I am not doing anything particularly complicated but I just like SW much better than learning a crippled little brother version. So is there any hope? Oh, and I cannot wait to get my bot!

rookie432
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
For cheap you might look at Millwizard.
$250 and you can import your wiremesh models and alter and cut. I think there's a free trial on Artcam's website.

Bill

gerald_d
07-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Meshcam (http://www.grzsoftware.com/) at $100 could also be enough for you. Imports dxf and stl, has free 60-day trial.

team08
07-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. So both of these will generate code that the SB will read and I need no other steps?

gerald_d
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
This group of programs normally generate G-Code as standard, but with a 'plug-in' to those programs, called a post-processor (or 'post' for short), they produce SB code instead of G-code. The 'post' for Meshcam is for free - quoting Robert Grzesek, the Meshcam writer, from his site:

"Configurable Post Processor
Every machine is different, and your CAM program has to be able to adapt to your needs. MeshCAM has a completely configurable post processor that can be customized to whatever level you require with ordinary text files. In addition, it's mostly ArtCAM and MillWizard compatible so you don't have a new format to learn. As easy as it is, if you'd prefer not to write your own configuration file then I'll even provide one free of charge."

srwtlc
07-12-2005, 07:52 PM
VectorXT will also open .dxf and .stl files although the learning curve can be steep. It does output Shopbot code. You can get a full working demo here (http://www.vectorcam.com/)

team08
07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Great info and tools, I have had fun playing around with them this evening. The one piece of functionality I have not come across yet though is the ability to split up my drawing for different tools. I want to cut the piece out and cut some holes with a small end mill, and then profile it with a large end mill (lots of surface area). Is it best to just do this by splitting up my 3d file and create different tool path files? Or is there a name for this to look for in a software package? Obviously we dont have tool changers but if I could do one task, then pause, change the bit, and go on, it would be great! Sorry for all the new guy questions, guess I just need to watch someone go through the workflow (like a shopbot camp!)

Brady Watson
07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Greg,
My advice would be to locate a Shopbot owner in your area to discuss your project. You are welcome to visit my shop any time.

-Brady

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Greg, the ability to split your drawing for different tools, is probably not spoken about much because it is low-tech. Basically you do create different toolpath files and then assemble them in sequence for one big file....the type of thing that most of us could do in Notepad or a text editor. Okay, the big-bucks programs might have a fancy name for it, but the process is still the same.

Maybe do yourself a favour and actually read some machine code files produced by Millwizard, Vector, Meshcam, whatever, and see how inanely simple and stupid this "code" really is.

hespj
07-13-2005, 04:12 AM
" Basically you do create different toolpath files and then assemble them in sequence for one big file".....Gerald

Create the different toolpaths in different drawings you mean? For instance, if I want to create a toolpath that just cuts the transom of a boat hull I would either need a toolpath program that lets me isolate the transom, or create another drawing of just the transom and toolpath that.

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 05:13 AM
John, by 'toolpath files', I was meaning the SB-code text files.

However, if you want a facility where you can break your drawing into zones, then allocate different cutter shapes to each zone, then push one button to get one huge toolpath program, that is probably going to be an expensive piece of software. We typically generate smaller separate files for each cutter - sometimes we join those small files together into larger files with a comment line(s) in between to tell us to change the cutter.

I must add that our experience on 3D and Meshcam is minimal - both jobs only needed a single cutter each. However cutting transoms out of ply is old hat (http://www.scapenotes.com/mdc/messages/5/24.html).

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 06:31 AM
I create .dxf files in different programs, toolpath them seperately, then combine them in a shopBot file.
In the same way I have some standard toolpaths which are added to other files where needed.
I am still trying to understand clearly the way to manipulate all this information.
If I get a clear idea I will post my conclusions.
..................Mike