PDA

View Full Version : "G-Code v.s. the Other Code" or "Why is Shopbot Different?"

jemelby
12-04-2004, 06:50 AM
My trip down the path to ShopBot ownership, is going quite well. I've seen a lot of interesting sites along the way, and I have had very few breakdowns (physical or emotional). But like the "Service Engine Soon" light, there is one point I keep getting an uneasy feeling about, and I have to pull over to the side of the road.

-- End Car Analogy --

I have read in posts by representitives from ShopBot that the Shopbot Parts files are retained in large part because of their familiarity and simplicity.

When I look at CNC, Modeling and Drafting software, the industry standard appears to be G-Code. Now, I can't pretend to know much about this. I am only partially sure that I am compairing fruit to fruit, much less apples to apples, but when it comes to software, comaptibility is a good thing. Going out on your own is a bad thing.

I see many references to "converting." Where a particualr program will output G-code (which might be usable directly by another machine) but has to be converted to a SB parts to be useable by a SB.

Another analogy: I see this as being similar to the US's inability/unwillingness to convert to the metric system. We walk around with our conversion charts, and do alright dealing with the rest of the world, but wouldn't it be better if we just tossed the old english system? I know, we've tried to embrace metric befor, and failed. Easier said than done.

Anyway, just an observation that welcomes comment. I have come to the conlusion that overall, the SB is a fine machine, and this issue of control software would not be a show stopper.

ron brown
12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
James,

Ted Hall had a little write up about the "whys" of the ShopBot code sometime back. Basicly, G-code is somewhat cryptic. ShopBot code, the basics, can be learned in short time. I've run G-code machines - but after several years of not running them it would take me a while to get back into it. The "Two Stroke" commands of the SB make sense.

We could get into a real discussion about "metric" vs "imperial" vs "Cubits" vs "Sun" vs "Vera" vs "Rods" vs???. But, how else would suppliers be able to sell several sets of measuring devices and tools to the common man.

Ron

gerald_d
12-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Ron, one of the beauties of the dictatorial government we had in the 60's and 70's was that they made some simple laws regarding changing to the metric system...

1. From date **-**-** it shall be legal to trade in the metric system.
2. After date xx-xx-xx it shall be illegal to trade in anything other than the metric system. Nothing shall even be marked, or spoken of, in non-metric terms.

Which meant that we had to buy Toyota, Mercedes and BMW because the speedos were marked in kilometers and the Chevs, GM's and Fords went off the market. Measuring equipment suppliers had to turn to Europe and Japan as well. Starret was replaced by Mitutoyo.

mikejohn
12-04-2004, 11:24 AM
"Oh! to be in England....!" where you buy a length of 2 by 4 (2 inches by 4 inches) but by metric length!
Mind you, in a country that drives on the left, distances in miles, petrol by the litre, who can be suprised.
And I was quite old before we got rid of a pound made up of 20 shillings, and a shilling made up of 12 pence.
I also measure my weight in stones (many stones
)
It is said that when we change to drive on the right, they willl make it easy by the trucks changing on the first 2 days, buses and taxies on the second 2 days, and cars immediately afterwards.
..Mike

ron brown
12-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Gerald,

Just one problem with that in the states. The politicians seem to lack testocular fortitude.

Ron

gerald_d
12-04-2004, 02:58 PM
I think that one of the right ways to boost your exports is to join the metric world and not to de-value the dollar.

yendor
12-04-2004, 03:31 PM
I have 25 years of NC programming experience and had the sames concerns when looking into buying my ShopBot. Why did they break "standards" and not use G-code. Now that I a ShopBot I can say the approach they have taken is very nice and the simplicity of their code wonderful. If you are not a g-code programmer then you won't care the differences and if you are then you'll soon appreaciate ShopBot simplicity. Besides, g-code isn't as standardized as some think. There are many slight variaation between controllers.

chrislvtbooth@hotmail.com
05-05-2005, 03:13 PM
I've had my ShopBot (PR48) for about a year now, it was my first CNC machine, and I have enjoyed learning the power and simplicity of the ShopBot control software (and I've got plenty more to learn!).

But I've also bought a small milling machine (the microkinetics "Express Mill" see www.microkinetics.com (http://www.microkinetics.com) if you're interested) which "of course" wants to be spoken to in G-code.

I also use SolidWorks for designing, and because SolidWorks is so powerful (parametric) and so user-friendly, I arranged a visit from a CAM reseller who I've asked to tell me if a CAM package that can be bought as an add-on and works inside SolidWorks (to keep that parametric capability) can then output code for both of the machines.

He says writing the post-processor for the microkinetics "Express Mill" will be easy (because it wants to be spoken to in G-code) but he doesn't know what can be done to get the ShopBot to understand what the CAM software will generate as output.

Can anyone enlighten me on the possibilities? Has anyone been through the process of getting a CAM software's output (G-code) to be a meaningful input to generate cutting paths for the ShopBot?

I'll be a bit blunter: HELP!

Chris Booth

gerald_d
05-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Have a look here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi?stype=s&squery="g-code"&sopts=0&smethod=0&scase=0&slookin=3&nnumber= 3&units=1440&username=&passwd=&where=all).

chrislvtbooth@hotmail.com
05-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks Gerald,

I've just sent the entire contents from the Help files (about the G-code convertor) in the software to the CAM reseller.

And now I'll go through everything on that link you sent, and see if I can learn a bit more! Thanks again, Chris Booth