PDA

View Full Version : Multiple tools?

john_l
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Using VcarvePro.. What would be the fastest way to get a closer cut to the original outline form vector in the attached? I know in some software you can select smaller tools for (just) the tighter areas and not have to pocket the hole area with the smaller tool. In the example I have a 1/4" end mill selected as the tool for the entire pocket tool path. Basically it's connecting too many parts of my design because the 1/4" bit won't fit in between.

knight_toolworks
12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
use the offset tool to create a pocket just big enough to get the area's missed then use a smaller tool that fits in it.

john_l
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Now there's thinking. Thank you Steve.

harryball
12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Just make sure you pocket your 1/4" bit to the original vectors not the offset vectors. Then you run your 1/8" (or whatever) between the offset and the originals. Following that, I also use a Vbit on the original vectors to sharpen the corners for a nice crisp appearance. With the tooling offset you can avoid beveling the letter and still sharpen the corners.

Robert

ed_lang
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I would select a V-bit tool path option and create a couple of "fake" V bits. I would then select flat area clear and use a larger "fake V bit" This way I have an area clear and then a clean up pass.

For the "fake" bits you can create a Vbit for a .25" end mill that has a .1* side angle and a .24" tip.