View Full Version : Extending Z axis

btk
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Has anyone created any custom parts to extended the reach/travel of their Z-Axis to make suitable to cut large blocks of foam, if so, is anyone selling such items. I am currently cutting in many layers and that gets a bit tedious.
Shopbot markets a 12 inch travel option, however i was hoping for more than that.

Thanks,
Brian

Gary Campbell
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Brian...
I think there are some 14" single and I think Dual Z machines out there produced recently. I also think I read a post some time back about a custom 24" Z foam cutter. Good Luck.
Gary

pfulghum
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Send and email to Dirk Dunham... He did some cool stuff to increase the Z travel a few inches by raised the rails and playing with the Z axis.
-- pat

Brady Watson
01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
If you have a welder...you can just make one yourself. Grinding the edges "ain't rocket science"...A couple pieces of angle iron, a section of rack and you're all set.

Depending on how deep you want to go, you may have to drop the bed down. SB used another 6" C-channel to do this with a 12" Z, so you'll have to drop it down accordingly OR raise up the rails with a 2X4X0.375" wall rectangular tube on end (maybe both), and some long 1/2" bolts. When you start talking adding Z to the machine more than 3 or 4", then dropping the table is the sensable way to go. It gets tricky when you raise things up as this introduces the potential for slop and flex. If you are cutting foam ONLY then this is not much of an issue. If you plan on cutting foam one day and then MDF sheets the next, it can become an issue. A long Z axis will require long coil springs, and a stronger motor to overcome them. It should also be stiffer than the stock offering, as you really multiply the amount of torque at the tip of the bit the rest of the Z axis has to contend with. 8 V-roller bearings at an absolute minimum on the Z.

-B