PDA

View Full Version : Perske 3HP spindle questions

cnc_works
04-26-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to spindles, so be patient with my questions.

My inference from various posts is that a 3HP spindle is at least half again as powerful as the PC7518 router and that it will do a better job of maintaining power at varying speeds. So, if the PC7518 is doing the job for me and seldom bogging down, a 3HP spindle as opposed to something more powerful would probably take care of most needs?

And, further to that, if you were pushing that spindle or something even beefier through heavy cuts, do you have an increased possibility of missing steps or over working your steppers (I have a PRT4896)?

OK, so I if I had a bare 3HP spindle in my hand, and I only have 220 single phase available, I would need a high frequency inverter to run it? And if I wanted variable speed, I would want a variable speed high frequency inverter? Or are they all variable speed? Would I need any other parts to complete the process?

I'm moderately skilled at wiring, would I need to or be smart to hire an electrician to wire up all the parts?

Any other considerations, thoughts on educating a novice as to the process of converting to a spindle?

Suggestions as to what it might cost for the parts over and above the bare spindle? Sources for new/used/reconditioned inverters?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Donn

bleeth
04-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Donn-I have the Columbo 5HP package from SB running single phase. The charge is more than 3phase as it is actually an underutilized 10HP frequency controller. I can only speak of it and tell you that hooking it up was a no brainer and the folks who actually supplied it were as helpful as can be. I've not lost steps from over driving but I have broken a bit or two!! But then since I'm not looking to crank out umpteen cabinet sides in a day, there are others who probably push theirs at higher ipms than I do. I love the smoothness, quietness, and total speed control with no loss of torque and would probably never think about getting another cnc without one.
If you make the change there are other things you need to change as it is not the same holding bracket or springs as for the PC which is considerably lighter as well as NOISY.

Dave