PDA

View Full Version : New tool available to help clean up 3D images

tmerrill
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Thought I'd share this with you in case you're interested.

Recently purchased a set of small scrapers that are being marketed by Flexcut, a large carving tool company (link below). So far, I've been very satisfied with them. I wish they were a little smaller, but the variety of shapes allows most areas to be reached.

Notice there are no V shaped ones, but that is not a big issue. You can use 2 flute V-bits as a scraper and get great results.

Here is the link:

http://www.flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1388&category_i d=227

I have no connection with the company, just passing on a good tip.

Tim

phil_o
03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Tim,
I've seen these advertised and I am considering buying a set. I'm glad to see that you like them. Have you needed to sharpen any of them? I'm curious how easy it would be to sharpen them when they get dull.

tmerrill
03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Phil,

They come sharpened and ready to use, but the instructions recommend burnishing for better results. They show you how to do this. They also show how to sharpen when it is required. Unlike cabinet scrapers where you can build up a lot of heat, I think these would last a long time if used to clean up machine carved items.

I forgot to add in the orginal post that they don't come with a handle. If you have one of the Flexcut handles already, you're set to go. In not you will have to add that to your purchase. I noticed that Woodcraft was recently offering a free wooden handle (normally $15) with the purchase, but not sure of the dates for that deal.

Another tip I've found is to put a coat of dewaxed shellac or laquer sanding sealing on first and let it dry, which only takes minutes. This stiffens up the fuzzies and then the scrapers will take them right off.

Tim