PDA

View Full Version : How to improve the results of v-carving letters?

graphicmetals
05-29-2003, 09:50 AM
When we v-carve lettering into wood, we often have problems with chunks of the letters getting torn off, especially the inside of A's, R's, etc.

The smaller the letters, the worse it is.

Is this just a limitation of the material and the size of the lettering? Or is there something we can do in the way of bits, speeds, feeds, etc?

Regards,
Kevin

gerald_d
05-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Have you solved your earlier problem today (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/1607.html?1054209634) yet?

billp
05-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Kevin,
A lot of this has to do with the angle/depth of the V bit you are using. You might want to try 30/45 degree bits if you are having problems with 60/90 degree bits. Obviously the geometry of the bit, and the desired depth of cut come into play here, so it's sometimes a trade off of whether or not you can actually achieve what you'd like.
I sometimes use a Dremel V bit which is VERY small ( I think it's their model #9999), to get into small letters.
You will also have more problems in some woods than others. It can help to pre-finish your wood, and let the coating act as a sort of "surface tension clamp"to keep some pieces attached to the main body of your work...

graphicmetals
05-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Gerald - No, I have not figured it out yet. The sign sits there on the bed of the 'bot.

Bill - I will look into the Dremel bit. I may be wrong, but we seem to get slightly better results with the 90 degree bit compared to the 60. I will try the pre-finishing idea as well.

-Kevin

kerrazy
05-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I have been carving from big signs to small plaques this week witha 60 degree v-bit. i have carved maple, Red cedar, vertical grain cedar and pine with letter heights of .5" to 4" with no hiccips.
my feed is always 1"/sec

any questions don't hesitate.
dale

gerald_d
05-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Our experience (and settings) is very similar to Dale - with three provisos:
- Cutter is properly sharpened
- Router speed 25000 rpm plus
- Wood is suitable for a durable sign
(We have seen this chipping out, but then the wood quality was dicey)

kerrazy
05-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Here, Here Gerald,

That is it exactly!!!

a dull bit and you will get tear out like crazy, I call it "ragging".
Also MDF however nice it looks in larger characters, does not have the grain needed to keep the centres in a's and e's, I have been there...
My 60 degree vbit is truly my favourite bit for lettering!

Dale

valensign
05-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Sharp Bits, Sharp Bits, Sharp Bits.

papadaveinwy
05-30-2003, 12:41 PM
William DeBekker,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but I will, I wanted to say this on the Forum, Bill I knew your Dad and he was Greatly admired by all the People of Canon City, We all miss him very much. God Bless and have a Great Life. David in Wyoming