PDA

View Full Version : A 5x5 machine

kivimagi
01-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm interested in converting my 4x8 prt table to a 5x5 table. This is primarily due to space, and the fact that I prefer to cut Baltic Birch sheets. I'm currently wasting nearly a foot of each sheet due to the 4' limit in the Y direction.

Anyone have any advice, suppliers, or stories to share?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ryan K

jamesgilliam
01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Ryan, I know what you mean on the Baltic Birch not fitting the machine. For us it seemed like just waste until we started making some corner shelve units, and can get all the pieces form two drops from the birch. We cut mainly puzzle rocking cahirs in the birch, and get two complete chairs from one piece. Right now we give 12.95 a sheet, and get 30.00 for each chair unfinished. Then the corner shelf goes for 25.00 from the scrap. I too thought about converting, but still run into cabinet work that needs the 4x8 cutting area. Let me know what you come up with. James

Brady Watson
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Ryan,
You have 3 critical issues to think about as far as converting your machine to a 5X5. Personally I would be interesting in a 5X8 over a 5X5, but that's just me.

Issue1: You will need to stretch the table supports in the Y direction. You can do this with 1/4" angle iron, drilled the same way your 4' sections are. See the SB table drawings for correct hole placement.

Issue2: You will need to stretch the Y rails for the extra width. You will most likely have to get these from ShopBot, or use an aftermarket rail and make accomodations on your gantry for the new style rails. You can use longer utility strut for the rail supports or just buy 1.5 X 2.5" box tubing from your local metal supplier.

Issue3: You will have to cut the existing X-rails & C-channels to 7' long & re-drill so that the legs fit on the cut side.

It may be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a new 5X5 PRT, which will be stiffer and smoother since it uses a better gantry.

-Brady

kivimagi
01-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Brady,

I think I'll persue the 5x8 table, as you suggested. It seems like the least costly of the two, plus still gives me the 8' capablities.

Thank you for the tips, I guess I'll post pictures with Gerald, if I actually follow through and update it.

Thanks!

kivimagi
01-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Jim,

When you say you give $12.95/sheet, are you saying you are getting the Baltic Birch for $12.95/sheet?

What grade, what thickness?

davidallen
01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Ryan,

I expanded my table to 5X10 and am now shrinking it to 3X10. Take a look at the parts you're making. can your sheets be ripped with a table saw to a common, narrower size? most parts I've made have at least one dimension less than less than 36".

If you extend the x rails beyond the table supports, you might consider a cross brace on the ends of the rails. they can flex enough to derail the carriage.

da

gerald_d
01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Ryan, try and buy David's gantry - it doesn't matter if he cuts a 5 footer or a 4 footer down to 3 foot. But at least it saves you from trying to extend it.

kivimagi
01-26-2006, 09:04 AM
David,

What do you say? Do you still have the 5' gantry, or did you modify your existing one?

Regards,

Ryan

jamesgilliam
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Ryan,
The birch I get is 1/2 inch, and I am not sure what grade you would call it, but it usually has 2 or 3 "footballs" on one side and is clear of defects on the good side.
James

kivimagi
01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
And only $12.95, a sheet. That is pretty good, I pay $22.00. Where do you get it?

davidallen
01-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Ryan,

I have a PR style carriage (unistrut supports). I just trimmed a couple of feet off of everything that ran across the table.

I took it off the ends of the carriage and out of the middle for the table supports.

I may have 3' section of strut with rail from a prior project if you're interested.

da

mziegler
02-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Ryan, Menards http://www.menards.com/ have 4 by 8 sheets of Baltic Birch plywood. Cutting that size would save you all the trouble changing the table and gantry. The price is 57 dollars for ¾ inch. Mark