PDA

View Full Version : Machining out inside coved corners?

hwd_woodworking
04-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone is able to machine out inside coved corners. I have a job that calls for this out of solid wood (red oak). I have about 24-32 corners depending on there design. I have told them we would have to resort to our chisels to finish the out.

But being the guy I am. I am dreaming up ways to try to get out of all that chisel work. One thought was to draw in a series of vectors that would allow me to use a 1/8" ball nose and make passes in the inside corner that would start at the top then slowly work down to the bottom.

The other thought would be to drag the ball nose up a vector that would represent the inside corner (sort of like leading out a v carve bit but on the curve)

Any thoughts on this? and is this something insignia could do?
I currently only have part wizard 2 but I have been flirting with buying something with al little more muscle.

Thanks
Nate

gerald_d
04-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Continued from this (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/6426.html) thread?

hwd_woodworking
04-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Sort of but using a cove bit

ron brown
04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Nathon,

It may be possible to have a custom cove bit built going to a point. This new bit would be run on a curved 3D path to clear the corner. There would still be some hand work but the "stop cut" would be there, the cove work would be minimal and there would be no bit changes.

If I did not use a bit of the type I just mentioned I would use a steep "V-Bit" and might even make a couple of passes "down the cove" where the bit profile matched the cove profile on a tangent.

If I had a custom bit built I would do a custom profile that could be easier to clean-up and give a bit more meat in the lower body of the bit.

Ron

GeneM (Unregistered Guest)
04-02-2005, 08:31 AM
I would do this in artcam.
Be glad to help
call the office 732-899-4458

Gene