PDA

View Full Version : Long Z deflection solution?

odulfst
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I've got a table with an 18" z axis, and there is a good bit of deflection in the bit. It seems that most of this deflection comes from the Z rail system and having it extended so far. I have 2 ideas, one is easy and has been done. Simply raise the table height. The other idea looks like it was meant to be done because there are holes drilled. I want to get a second Z rail system (or make a similar one) and mount it on the opposing side of the router so it will have more than just that 1 plate keeping it in place. This would require a special router/spindle mount, not too hard to make though.

Any other ideas or suggestions on a new z rail system?

I think I'll also add a hold down pulley on the "non-motor" side of the y cart. those v grove pulleys just don't seem meant for lateral forces.

Thanks,
Tony

paco
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Welded rectangular tube (1" X 2-3" X 1/8-3/16"wall) on the Z rail assembly... still, do you have enough room for that? Maybe a thick flat bar... but consider the weight.

steve4460
06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Tony
Add an extra set of V rollers to the Z axis maybe 4-5 inches up from the last set on the z.

Bot on dude

gerald_d
06-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi Tony, welcome to the crowd.

Some folk have made a "table extender box ?" to raise thin work nearer to the gantry.

Here is a link to another forum where you can see the hold-down that we are running:
http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/show.cgi?tpc=10&post=233#POST233

odulfst
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will definately make a box to raise the table, but I'm also going to look into fitting a second z rail mirroring the original to hold it in place.

maybe i can find one of those pole sliders and just mount that. anyone know anything about those?