View Full Version : Any pitfalls using -VU values to rotate X-Y axes?

chuck_p
04-06-2003, 09:27 PM
I need to rotate the X-Y axes 180 degrees to run a short job. That is to say, make the positive X be positive in the default -X direction. The same with the Y axis. Reading the Shopbot manual, putting a "-" in front of the unit values for each axis will accomplish this. Does anyone know of issues related to doing this?

rgbrown@itexas.net
04-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Chuck,

In one of my "rebuilds" of my "cable bot" - I think it was changing to rack and pinion and home-built gearboxes, I ended up with "negative values". The kind folks at ShopBot shamed me into switching wires on the motors. As I remember, I had been running a while "reversed". The parts didn't seem to care.

I think it was more for their peace of mind than for my good.

Other options could be "mirroring" the files or giving the parts "fill-in sheet" negative scale numbers.

Ron

chuck_p
04-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Hi Ron,
Oh good, I'm glad to hear that the negative -VU values work. I didn't think about using a -1 scaling factor. Good idea! I wouldn't have guessed that would work. I'm cutting a 16 foot board. I don't have enough room between the machine and wall to index the board through the machine so I need to rotate 180 degrees to reach everything. One of these options sounds like it will work fine.
thanks,
Chuck