PDA

View Full Version : Which size machine?

bjenkins
04-02-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm going to order a machine in the next couple of days. I've been thinking about it and studying the forum for a few weeks. I keep debating between a PRT 48 and PRT 96. How many of you wish you had a bigger machine? I don't need the 96" today, but you never know about then next job. Besides saving space, do I gain anything by staying smaller?

ron brown
04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Bud,

When I bought and built my first ShopBot it was a cable driven machine. I made it with a 4' X 18' cutting area. I regret not going larger. I started using 5' square baltic birch ply and had to handle sheets several times and lost some cutting efficency.

The one I just finished has a 5' X 10' foot cutting area. It is all that will fit in the space I have to work in. The table is also an outfeed table for a table saw and an assembly table.

Then again, it is not a "Stock" ShopBot. It was built for a particular area and set of circumstances. I don't recommend anyone building a CNC machine. I enjoy building things. But days and even weeks can be spent working out little "problems" that arise.

Ron

wiese
04-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Bud,

I am a high school tech teacher. We bought a 3' X 4' Bot a few years ago and use it like crazy. I wish we had enough space to have purchased a larger model. Sometimes students will not finish their work in one period and it would be nice to have a large enough table to leave the work fastened and have the other classes simply use a different area on the table.

jamesgilliam
04-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Bud, I have the PRT96 and wish mine was larger. I never thought I would need all the table surface on this one, and now wish it was a 5'x 10' table. Like Ron, I use alot of the baltic birch, and it is 5'x 5'.

donframbach
04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I bought a PRT48 several years ago and found it to be a little too small. I then bought some larger rails from ShopBot so I now have a PRT60. Bottom line, if the PRT48 is too small and the PRT96 is too big, ShopBot can make one for you that is just right!