View Full Version : Extra Z axis

jdhouse57@msn.com
08-22-2003, 11:34 AM
How do you program the extra z axis ? I would like to use a different router bit or just perform another function using it . How would you go about
using them in tandem ?

jaum@adelphia.net
08-22-2003, 07:47 PM
JD House

I don't know if this will help but on our dual z's we don't use them in tandem but switch back and forth depending on the bit we want to use on that operation. If we are using router one, and want to switch to router 2 then we run a file called router 2 as follows:

vi,,,,,,,4,3

mx,-5.02
my,-.051
zx
zy

This switches to the second router, moves the second router a -5.02 " and the y -.051 Then zeros x&y in that postion.

To switch back, you would use vi,,,,,,,3,4
then +5.02 and +.051 then zero X & Y

The 5.02 on the x axis is the distance between the two router tips and the .051 accounts for a slight difference in the y location of the tips.

You would need to get an exact measurement in order to determine what your values would be.

As far as working in Tandam, I don't know how to program them both together but you would have to be cutting very small parts or use an outrigger on you routers. I bet the guys at shop bot could tell you how to do this.

Hope this helps, email me if you have any questions about this.

artisan
08-23-2003, 11:06 AM
It is my understanding....someone will correct if I'm wrong.... that Shopbot does not support the routers in tandem. I have a dual Z and I run them separately...a 2HP PC with infinite variable speed for plastics, foams and light work... and my 3.25HP PC horse for the heavier stuff....D

paul
08-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Hi All

Yes you can work both routers in tandem, you need a splitter lead from Shopbot. The small offset between the two routers are only good for small items.

paul