View Full Version : How do you get smooth cuts with the Alpha?

richards
08-04-2004, 12:33 AM
NOTE: This is a long, detailed post.

After using my new Alpha 120-60 for about 2 weeks, I've pulled out most of my sparse hair.

Don't get me wrong, the machine is wonderful - if I cut directly along the X or Y axis. If I cut curves, circles or diagonal lines that require movement in both axis, and if I set the move speed above about 1-inch per second, I get chatter, regardless of the VR settings (I must have tried dozens of different settings.)

All of the tests have been done in MDF at shallow depths (1/4-inch to not overload the router motor), with a variety of cutters ranging from 2-flute 1/4-inch spirals to 2-flute 3/8-inch straight and spiral cutters, and with both a PorterCable 3-1/4 hp router and a Bosch 2hp router at 16,000 to 21,000 rpm. Results were similar regardless of the cutter or the motor.

If I cut a 2-1/2 inch diameter circle at 0.5 ips, it is perfect, except for dwell marks at each quadrant. At 1.0 ips, it's still perfect. At 2.0 ips and above, it looks like I used a dull hacksaw to butcher the circle. Cuts along either the X or the Y axis at 0.5 ips up to 8.0 ips are identical except for increasing tooling marks as the speed increases; tooling marks that can be explained mathmatically due to the distance the cutter moves per revolution.

As a simple test, I ran cuts at 45-degrees, which should have moved both the X-axis and the Y-axis motors identically; therefore, the cuts should have been as smooth as cuts made along either the X-axis or the Y-axis. The 45-degree cuts were rough at speeds 2.0-ips and above, indicating that the motors were not ramping identically.

Out of curiousity, I made a spreadsheet that showed X/Y ratios at each degree from 0 to 45 needed to cut a circle. Unless my math is wrong, a circle is made up of eight 45-degree segments, with each segment having the same ratios, but with the direction of either the X-axis or the Y-axis reversed from the previous segment.

In my example, I made a circle that was 2,000 stepper motor steps in diameter; therefore, the first move would have been 1000 steps along the X-axis and 0 steps along the Y-axis. After reaching the diameter of the circle, the next step to move to the 1-degree position, required 1 X-axis step and 17 Y-axis steps (I'm writing this from memory, so the figures might not be accurate). To have a totally smooth move, the duration of the X-axis step should be 17 times as long as each Y-axis step. Anyway, moving 1 degree at a time, the X-axis steps increase in relation to the Y-axis steps, until at 45-degrees, each axis moves the same number of steps. What I'm getting at is that controlling both the the X-axis and the Y-axis properly requires a lot of computing power. Adding ramping to the mixture increases the complexity.

Although I'm a newbie to the CNC router world, I'm fairly experienced at designing, building and programming process control computers that incorporate stepper motors. I know how important correct ramp values are and how tedious it can be to formulate them. But, even after following a methodical pattern of testing different ramp values, I haven't improved the quality of the cut.

Bottom line: How smooth should circles and curves be in MDF at speeds greater than 2-ips?

fleinbach
08-04-2004, 06:38 AM
I started cutting with my Alphaprt 120 this week and although I have not made an enormous amount of cuts I have gotten perfect (or at least near perfect)circles, ovals and curves running a 1/4 inch up spiral in 3/4 MDF with one pass at 18,000 RPM, and 8 In/sec. Now one small circle I cut was rough but I know what caused it to happen. I was always used to using 2 screws with my old prt 96 this was enough to keep the sheet from moving and always worked great as long as I remembered to put in tabbing. This method does not work on the Alpha's higher cut speeds. When the machine starts cutting a few feet from the hold down screws the faster feed rate with the up spiral lifted the sheet off the table. To remedy this I added more screws. Next I tried cutting some panels about 58" X 24" out of 1" MDF and found that the tabbing I used to use with the prt 96 (They where 1/8 X 1/8)which always worked sufficiently at the slower speeds did not work this time as the bit picked the part up breaking the tabs.

Of course, I'm not sure if your idea of a clean cut is the same as mine. Of course there are tool marks but I consider them extremeThey are small enough that they take the first coat of paint without sanding. Before applying the second coat always requires sanding in MDF end grain no matter how smooth it is before the first coat. The first coat always raises the grain but once it dries you can sand this out easily.

Have you updated the software? It is up to ver 3.2.11 It changes nearly every other day. ramping was deffinatly a problem before ver 3.2.8

elcruisr
08-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Another Alpha user here. Outside of tooling marks things are pretty smooth in MDF. Have you checked all the usual things like x,y,z axis bearings for tightness? Using the latest software? I'd also be on the phone with tech support if everything else was OK.

Eric

paco
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
I too get rough circle; even doing "air cut"; the machine shake... I did'nt change any ramp settings from "factory default" yet... My try was using circles made in PW2... I plan to test ramp settings suggest from Eric Lamoray (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=7&post=15733#POST15733) as he write to be satisfied with...

paco
08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
#*?!&%
He's fast!

richards
08-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys.

Software: I've downloaded version 3.2.11, but I'm still running 3.2.10.

Bearing tightness: The Z-axis bearings are too tight to move by hand. The X-axis and Y-axis bearings can just barely be moved by hand.

Ramp settings: The ramp settings in the machine now are the ones Eric posted - which really gives snappy performance, but I'm still getting roughness with curved cuts.

Tech support: I talked with tech support just before upgrading from 3.2.8 last week. They asked the same questions that you've posted; however, after talking about the various cutters and routers that I had already tried and the fact that straight line cuts were as expected and the fact that curves and circles cut at slow speed looked good, they thought ramping would be the prime suspect.

Expectations: My expectations would be that a curve should be similar in smoothness to a straight line cut, except for the individual line segments. For instance, if I cut a circle with eight line segments, I would expect to see an eight sided polygon in the shape of a circle; however, if I cut a circle with thousands of line segments, I would expect to see a circle with no discernable line segments. In any case, to keep my newbieness out of the equation, I use PartWizard v.2 to generate all tool paths.

Part hold-down: Part hold-down was a surprize to me also. My first actual project was to cut a simple bookcase out of baltic birch. I screwed the plywood to the spoil board with one screw in each of the four corners and left two inches of wood top and bottom and one inch left and right for stiffness. All parts were designed with four connecting tabs. The first part (about 1/4 of the sheet) cut perfectly; but the second part was a disaster. During the cut, it looked like the entire sheet of plywood had moved more than an inch along the X-axis. When I stopped the machine, it because obvious that the tabs had broken and the 1-inch wide sides of the plywood had flexed, allowing the machine to push the wood rather than cut it. Next purchase, if I expect to do heavy cuts, is a big vacuum hold down system. The temporary solution is lighter cuts and more screws.

Next step: Today I plan on running grounding wires to each axis on the machine and then to re-check alignment.

paco
08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Ted e-mail me SB3.exe ver 11; "Somehow the main program file does not seem to have made it into the installation build."
Ask SB for it or I can e-mail what I'd got from him...

Eric ramp settings sure get me to a better smoother moves! Thanks for sharing Eric.

When I test CC command; I get a smooth move on many speed settings... But PW2 seem to generated toolpath circle a way that I get MANY, too many lines segments wich, I think, cause the rough/shaking (I can hear the difference from air testing)... Again Eric settings improve some on PW toolpath circle...

fleinbach
08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
I just reread my post and noticed an error. It should have said:
Of course there are tool marks but I do not consider them extreme.

elcruisr
08-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I would be concerned if the x and y bearings can be moved by hand even a little. I set mine up just tight enough that I can't and I notice the difference in the cut quality. I check my bearings at 6" intervals along the axis to see if everything is set true. I check my z axis in cutting position.

Another issue with circle cutting may be the circle tolerance setting in unit values. I set it pretty loose for interior furniture components, like .08, and tighten it up for close tolerance work at maybe .01.

I just cut some circular area clearances 3/4" deep the other day with a .0015 tolerance on the finished product. I cut it at 2" / sec at .01 tolerance. Nice clean cut. At 10" sec with .08 tolerance things get a little looser but still are considered good by the customer.

Grounding is a BIG issue. I had a bunch of troubles with my original PRT until I ran a grounding wire through my dust collection tube. Solved the problems. Also, check for ground between y car and frame. It should be OK but oil and dust in the roller grooves might create some resistance there.

Eric

Eric

richards
08-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Eric, Paco, Frank,

Thanks for the help. I tightened up the bearings on the Y carriage to the point that I could not move them with my fingers, tightened the circle tolerance to 0.01 and cut some 4 inch circles at 8 ips, 0.4 inch deep in mdf (2 flute 3/8-inch straight cutter, 16,000 rpm, PorterCable router). The cuts were very good. Except for the tooling marks, the circle was almost perfect, certainly better than expected for the cutter used.

Next I slowed the feed speed to 2 ips, changed the circle tolerance to 0.0015 and ran the tests again. This time the circles were perfect, better than I'll need for the things that I plan to do.

My main limitation now is the router. I'm really limited to feed speeds of 3-6 ips second and depths of about 0.4 inch before the router complains. Oh well, a new shop with adequate power for a spindle and vacuum system, and adequate space will be available early next year. By that time, I should have the machine under control.

Mike

elcruisr
08-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear it! Hope you do well and make a pile of sawdust now.....

Eric