PDA

View Full Version : MDF Doors

sawkerf
04-13-2005, 11:03 PM
When making MDF doors I use KCDW software to generate the vectors and import them into PW (still waiting on artcam to release thier "Cabinet maker" version of Artcam). Then I toolpath it manually. The problem I have is the Beading bit does not travel far enough to clean up the last little tip (I don't have this problem with the Panel bit). I have tried adjusting the bit diameter down but that doesn't seem to be the answer. Any suggestions?

srwtlc
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Kip,

Maybe a little more info on how you're going about using this "beading bit" would help get some replies going. When I think of a beading bit in relation to MDF doors on the Shopbot, I think of a point cutting roundover, and I'm not sure what part you're trying to clean up.

Scott

sawkerf
04-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks Scott, a picture is worth a thousand words, however, I do not have a picture so here goes a thousand words. The beading bit I'm speaking of is a flat bottom plunge style bit, small diameter (@ Bottom)is about .4375 or so, the large diameter is about .875. The bead or roundover is the inside of the door "stile and rail". First Pass is a "Panel" cutter that is about 1.5 in diameter, then I come back on the same vector with the bead bit to create the stile and rail, while leaving the inside of the panel cutter to form the panel. When I make the first pass with the panel bit it does fine but the bead bit doesn't go quite far enough on it's second pass to clean up the entry point. I've tried adjusting the diameter to see if that would help but to no avail. It's like it needs a little "over travel" but I'm not sure what to do with it. What I have been doing to correct this is to re-run the same toolpath again which works fine, but with this magnificent machine I'm sure there is a correct way to do this and I'm sure one of you brilliant guys knows how to do it. Thanks in advance,Kip

srwtlc
04-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Kip,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are using the MDF door bits like these (http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1113877115_24171%2B95). You are right in thinking that you will need to "over travel" past your starting point. If you're using PW you won't be able to draw this in easily if at all, but you can edit the cutting file by adding some distance onto the last cutting depth movement before the bit pulls up. In other words, tell the tool to move farther than what PW is telling it to. You could also start your cut sooner instead of finishing it later.

I have used the MDF Door bits also and I program in a curved entry/exit (in the Z axis) with overlap using Vector like this.

I've also tried the panel or cove bit along with a v-bit using the "FreeDoors" (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=32&post=23475#POST23475) program that Mike Richards and Bruce Clark have been working on with good results.

Scott