View Full Version : Stopping and starting extra long programs

johnny_s
08-31-2004, 12:04 PM
If I have a file that will take 2 or more days to cut, how do I stop the program and the end of day and restart in the same place in the morning?

bill.young
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Hey John,

The easiest way to do it is to hit the spacebar to pause the file, and then when you're ready to start again on the next day just hit R to resume.

The disadvantage to doing it this way is that the computer stays on and connected to the tool during the whole time, so that if you get a power blip or some other problem during the night you might be in trouble. An advantage is that the motors will be on during the whole time, so that you don't have to worry about someone coming in and bumping your ShopBot so that it loses position.

Another way is to hit the spacebar at the end of the day and write down the line that the file stops at...it's displayed on the green Control Console. Then shut things down...make sure no one bumps the tool while it's off or you'll lose position. When you're ready to continue in the morning, type FG instead of FP to enter GOTO mode. The start of the process is the same as FP, but then you get a message box titled "Single-Step File". Make sure that the "Go to" option is checked and then type in the line number that you stopped at (or a line or 2 before depending on the file) and hit the GO button. It will move to that line in the display and then clicking the "Run from here" button will run the file from that point.

If you use the FG command you have to plan ahead a little before selecting your stopping point. If you stop in the middle of a command (like in the middle of cutting a circle), when you restart it could start the circle all over again at it's beginning and might cut straight across to the start point at whatever depth it happens to be at, messing up your part. The same hold true for stopping in the middle of a Programming loop...you could definitely get un-predictable results!

Sorry for the long-winded answer...hope this helps.

Bill

johnny_s
08-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks Bill, long-winded is good and necessary for me. I will opt for leaving the machine on for the first attempt.

bill.young
08-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey John,

No matter which method you use, it's probably a good idea to write done the line number that you stopped at and the current X, Y, and Z-axis values from the red status panel, just in case. It can't hurt!

Bill

daveiannone
08-31-2004, 02:46 PM
John,
Another thing that could help....Whenever I am going to run a really long file , I first send the router to a specific point (somewhere in scrap area of my material) for example 2 , 2 and then I move Z down with a 1/4" bit (bore a hole)....That way if for ANY reason I should lose steps I could always manually go back to what I know is 2,2 (aligning the bit in the hole) and work backwards to get to original 0,0... Just another safety measure that doesn't take long...Hope it helps.
Dave

Brady Watson
08-31-2004, 03:57 PM
Yep,
I do that trick too, David. Good tip! For some files I also make sure that I have a good place to zero to if something gets messed up and the Z-depth is critical.

-Brady

johnny_s
09-02-2004, 07:44 PM
eeew, I have prox switches, and normally write down how far I moved from them to anywhere I call home....but this time I didn't... and of course, I had problems! First off, I blew a fuse somewhere that controlled my vacuum hold down, so the part began to lift the height of the foam gasket. I shut the router down mid-cut and threw my home off. I ended up eyeballing it, and was okay.

Incidentally, I let the part run all-night - un-attended. Fortunately, the shop is still standing. I should study a little more about automatically powering down things.