PDA

View Full Version : Tools, feeds & speeds

hardwood
07-06-2004, 07:32 AM
I am wanting to do nested based manufacturing of cabinet sides out of 3/4" veneer core plywood. What is the best tooling to use, what feed and speed rates should I use. I am now using a 1/4" straight bit to drill holes and cut grooves. I have been cutting the profile out in 2 passes. Would a spiral bit be better?

elcruisr
07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Compression spiral, single flute, will probably give you the cleanest edges. We use them in .25, .375 and .5 diameters. The .25 could even drill you holes and clear dados but the larger bits would give you a cleaner edge cut. I prefer the Onsrud short upcut compressions. They seem to run much smoother. I think it's the 60 - 100M series. Feeds and speeds will vary depending on wether you're running a spindle or a router. I run a spindle and would run the .25 in a single pass at 3.5"/sec at around 13,500 to start an fine tune from there.

Eric

robinsoncr@naxs.net
07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Eric,

I'm running a 5hp Columbo and 15hp Cascade Vac pump. We've been cutting at a S-L-O-W 1.67"/sec with a spindle speed of 10k, .375" Onsrud compression.

About 80% of what we're processing is 19mm 2x Melamine and balance is 6mm melamine and 18mm Veneer core ply.

What are you cutting 19mm Melamine at? What kind of hold down do you have? I'm just wondering if I could start ramping up the feed speeds?.....

Chris

elcruisr
07-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Hi Chris,
We use a 15 hp FPZ vac pump for hold down and have the same spindle. We have upgraded to the new Alpha step drives. Since upgrading I can cut materials you've mentioned at 8 to 10 inches per second. Before the upgrade we would cut those same materials at around 2.7 to 3 inches per second. With a .375 compression bit I'd usually be turning about 10,000 to 12,000 depending on the particular material. If the bit is "screaming" it's to fast, if it's "growling" it's to slow. Make sure your tooling is sharp!

It sounds like you have a good hold down pump and plenty of horsepower so speeding up should be no trouble at all.

Eric