PDA

View Full Version : Glass Router to ShopBot

d_wolfe
09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I've spent some time and read the posts concerning the cutting and etching of glass and I've found them all useful. It sounds like the ShopBot simply isn't the tool for the job; maybe CRL's ADR2T Portable Glass Router is? Here's the link: http://www.intropc.com/item-2451-deluxe-portable-glass-router-with-template-system-adr2t.html

My question is whether the CNC functionality of the ShopBot can be applied to the glass router? Like the "air drill" that was attached, do you think the glass router can be too (and remain functional?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary Campbell
09-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Drew...
I looked over the CRL router on the site you provided. Not to over simplify, but it appears to be a 14K RPM router, a coolant delivery system and possibly dam, an 1/8" glass cutting bit and templates.

There is no reason that you cannot replace or replicate all of those items with a ShopBot and a few modifications.

Most routers and very surely even the most lightweight of spindles will replace the CRL router. If budget is not the main concern, some are available with coolant thru the bit.

A nonporous table with a coolant recovery system can capture used coolant that is delivered thru a flexible nozzle by an aquarium or wet saw type pump from a 5 gal bucket.

A spindle will hold 1/8" bits and easily cut at the speeds and accuracy listed on the site.

The templates can be replaced by cad design with SB supplied software. You will not be limited to cutting what is templated, just your imagination and ability to draft.

As with earlier posts concerning engraving, we are usually more limited by bits available at a given price than by our machines.

In short, if a handheld router can do it as shown, there will be no problem for a ShopBot. The only limitation would be that the sheet of glass needs to be smaller than the size of the table purchased.
Gary