PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Z not zeroing

davidp
07-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I am having a problem using my Z Zero plate to zero my second z axis.

It was working fine until the alligator clip that was originally supplied with the zero plate broke and I replaced it with a new and larger clip. Now it still works fine with the first Z but it does not work with the second z. The input light does not register, even when you touch the plate with the clip whilst trying to zero the second z.

Has anyone experieinced a similar problem

Regards,

David P

Brady Watson
07-05-2005, 10:13 AM
David,
It sounds to me that your 2nd Z is isolated from the machine ground. An easy fix would be to make another jumper wire with 2 clips on it & clip one from your 1st router body to the 2nd one.

A more permanent, long-term solution would be to add ground strap between all powder-coated pieces back to the control box...since poweder coating is plastic, it doesn't conduct electricity...

-Brady

dingwall
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Try touching the plate against the second Z router body. If you get conductivity there and not at the collet your bearings might be the problem.

I've had my bearings varnish over and not make electrical contact.

davidp
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Brady & Sheldon,

Thank you for your speedy replies.

Forgive me if I seem a bit daft here but The 2 router is a a small high speed grinder with a plastic body. What I am having troubles understanding is that every thing was working fine until I replaced the aligator clip. I thought that a second ground would be superflous as the grinder is a double insulated appliance. ie it does not have a ground. With the aligator clip attached to the bit and the zero plate under the bit as soon as the bit touched the plate that would complete the circuit and a the controller would read an input on switch #1.

I will try tomorrow to attach a lead from the cutter in the second router to a ground and I will let you know what happens.

Once again thak you for your swift replies.

richards
07-05-2005, 12:18 PM
David,
Touch the Z-zero plate to the alligator clip to verify that the indicator light comes on. There is always the possibility that connection to the alligator clamp is faulty.

gerald_d
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Call these guys (http://www.luxor.nl/Ghostbusters%20II.jpg)