PDA

View Full Version : Machining Elk Buttons

jsfrost
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
My local Elk farm has asked me if I can do the preliminary work back side leveling and frontside rough carving for hand carved 3d belt buckles. An Elk button is the stub where the antler detached in the spring. The material looks and feels pretty bonelike. Has anyone tried something like this?

I suspect bit costs will eliminate the labor savings, but never say no without a careful look.

Brady Watson
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Jim,
It cuts like Corian. A regular 2-flute end mill is up to the task. No exotic tooling or coolant etc needed. Fixturing the parts to the table is the toughest part.

-B

tomb
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Years ago I made custom hand made knives and had requests to use antlers for handle material.
It was easy to work with and finished up nice
but the smell was more than I could take. Horn and hair are the same basic organic meterial and give off the same smell. Take a piece and lean hard on a belt sander and you will see what I mean. You might not mind as much as I did. Good luck.

Tom

srwtlc
08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree with Tom. After the first few gag reflexes, you should be good to go!

jay_p
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Ditto the smell!

Jay

bill.young
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Tom Byerlee,

I've been trying to contact you by email about the Austin Maker Faire but they keep getting bounced back...is the email address in your profile still current?

Bill

tomb
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Mr. Bill,

You have mail..

Tom