PDA

View Full Version : A few ShopBot enhancements

tas99
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I thought the group might be interested in a few of the enhancements I've made to my ShopBot. Take a look at an energy chain I added to the Y axis, a pneumatic XY registration system and a PC/workstation I put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGhVG7Ce0k

Gary Campbell
03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice job Tom...
Thanks for posting
Gary

bernott
03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice use of space with the PC/Workstation!

myxpykalix
03-12-2009, 11:43 PM
boy you got all "fancy-schmancy" with that pneumatic registration. That is actually very cool. How long did that take to put together?

I like the way it puts itself out of the way when not in use. Very slick!

steve_fedor
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Please more details on the table registration. I have been struggling with a door hinge concept. If I,am not to forward, what did the components cost and the supplier.

Steve

donald_smull
03-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I too would like more info on the table registration.
Thanks
Don

carlosgmarroquin
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Congratulations. I like all the features.

tas99
03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I appreciate everyone’s comments about the enhancements and for those of you who asked, here’s more detail on the pneumatic registration.

I tried a number of other options – including a hinge system that rotated up – but found that none were really that accurate or far too clumsy to handle. This pneumatic system seems to be just right for my applications.

The cylinders are from SMC and the model number is 12-MGP32-25. They run upwards of $400/unit new but I found these used on e-bay for about $35/unit. The stroke is 1” and that’s just right so in a retracted position the top piece of ¾ MDF registration board is ~¼ below the table surface – so no problem with a cutter that’s cutting over the x or y axis -and when extended the bottom is ~¼” above the table surface so I can trim a new registration board with a cutter without going to the table surface. The cylinders are also built to take quite a side load – there are three ¾” slides on each unit - so they can take a ¾” piece of MDF registering pretty hard against them.

The control unit is a used unit I found at www.surpluscemter.com (http://www.surpluscemter.com) for about $15 and you’d probably be able to find the appropriate cylinders there too. Maybe not the same ones but others that would work as well.

I've attached a picture of a cylinder as a reference.

The rest of the materials are just hoses and fittings I had around or purchased locally. There’s nothing special about them. If I were going to make longer registration boards I’d use additional cylinders but two is right for my length.

The Y axis units are attached to a piece of 3” x 3” x 3/16” angle iron suspended from below the structured aluminum X axis rail supports. The X axis units are on a similar piece of angle iron bolted to the table cross supports. The assemblies are extremely rigid and hold their position very well. Material registration is very accurate and repeatable. The whole project was done over a long weekend and it’s been in use for about a month with no problems.

I hope this information helps.

tas99
03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Woops, I forgot the pic, sorry.

br928
03-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey guys. Found some of the cylinders on Ebay for $39 if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138090952

Thanks for the post Tom.

jon
03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Tom's system is impressive, but I've been able to very accurately place items on the bed for re-referencing by simply drilling 1/4" holes (with the bot) into the bed acting as a fence. You place these holes in partwizard etc on the edges of your part and once drilled, install dowels or broken 1/4 cutters into them. It takes a few minutes and when you are done drop some glue into the hole, put a dowel in and flush cut the dowel. The next time you level your bed the hole will be completely flushed. I've found this to be a really accurate way to provide a reference when I've needed to flip machine sheets, parts (machine both sides) or for remachining things etc.

I do love that pneumatic system though Tom, really great work there! Where did you source your energy chain?

Gary Campbell
03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Jon Eric...
Where does one get these broken bits you mention?

Gary

tas99
03-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Jon,

I like your idea of the dowel/bit registration and I might use that on some applications. I only have a 48" table and for many applications I can't afford that extra inch or so for the dowel hole so the pneumatic systems works for me.

As for the energy chain, I got mine from McMaster-Carr ( part #4409T513). There are a variety of sizes so here's the catalog page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4409t513/=zlrvx

bleeth
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Gary: I pick mine up off the floor of a friend in Tavernier after SB Camps!!

mklafehn
03-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Tom,

Cool pneumatics! Do you have the part number of the control unit from surplus center. Can't seem to find it on their site.

Thx
Mike