PDA

View Full Version : Image test

johnny_s
06-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I need to cut a couple hundred of these shapes;

It is 1/4 acrylic. The parts came to me already saw cut to size (probably not cut as accurate as with the bot), I just need to cut the insides. My question is how to hold it for cutting?

I have a few ideas, such as vacuum hold down, which only leaves about 1/2" of border around the part of vacuumable area (1" minus 1/4 and another 1/4 for outer and inner gaskets. Or, just clamping near the end of my table. I think you all know what I worried about for the clamping idea.

You guys always have great solutions, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

johnny_s
06-08-2004, 02:50 AM
Man, I cannot delet my own posts and it keeps putting in an old title/subject for the post, so instead of posting another of the same thing, I will just hope you guys will respond.

ron brown
06-08-2004, 06:08 AM
John,

Tried to e-mail with question for response. I don't respond to hidden folks if I have questions.

Ron

srwtlc
06-08-2004, 08:33 AM
John,

Why not utilize the larger waste area for vacuum also? That area would give the needed holding strength for the bulk of the cut, while the small area around the perimeter will keep that part from being kicked at the end of the cut. I would make a two layer vacuum jig. The top for your gaskets and the bottom for the plenum and vacuum conection (assuming your using a shop vacuum setup).

Scott

stevem
06-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Make a box 16.27 X 5.25 X .25 with a hinged lid that has a rectangular hole slightly larger than your cut.

Place a thin rubber gasket around the underside of the lid around the perimeter of the hole.

Place plastic blank in box.

Close and latch lid.

Cut through hole.

gerald_d
06-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Scott & Steve, that was way too quick - you are supposed to mail some questions first.

(John, you may want to ask SB to take out your mail address if you want to avoid spambots)

scott_smith
06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
John, check out the pictures under "wedge clamp" in the "ShopBot Accessories" part of the forum.
Would something like that work for you?
Scott

scott_smith
06-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Sorry John, I just re-read your post. Don’t think that clamping system would work so good for 1/4” acrylic.

daveiannone
06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I was going to suggest double-sided tape which is how we cut the majority of our acrylic, but in this case, I like Steve's idea MUCH better.....you could actually make 2 boxes and be loading one while the other is cutting.

Dave

johnny_s
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
eew, spambots - thanks Gerald for that one. I like Steves idea as well, I will try that for now, and yes, i will make two of them.

Thanks people.

stickman
06-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Steve,

Do you have a pictures example of what your proposing? Something you've used to fit the situation.

Jay

paul.stelpflug@stork.com
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
John,

How about hollowing out the back side of a 1 x 8 x 20" so the blank fits inside. Then cut through an area larger than the cut out of the plastic. You could clamp this to your table and even gang them together if possible for multiple pieces machined per setup. In other words, use your Bot to make a holding fixture. Just an idea
Paul

stevem
06-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Jay,

I use similar fixtures every day, primarily for putting a bull nose on the edge of thin plastic sheet, as well as trimming moulded parts. I do not feel comfortable posting pictures of the fixtures on the internet.

johnny_s
06-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Scott, I think the wedge seems easier, but something about it makes me un-easy. Just a feeling though.

stickman
06-08-2004, 10:11 PM
John,

I would use it only for cutting keyholes and such, I haven't used it for cutting any shapes out. I do plan on trying it. I would trust it if I was cutting the center of your piece out. But there is always that chance it can pop up. But as long as the cutting is smooth, I don't see a worry. I will let you know how it works out. I think Steve's box fixture would work great though.

Steve I can understand you not wanting to post pictures of the fixtures.

Thanks, Jay