PDA

View Full Version : 'Roo Glue and edge banding

richards
12-29-2005, 07:59 PM
After giving up on my little hot-air edge bander, for edge banding melamine/particle board, I tried just every other non-machine method to edge band. Someone suggested trying Roo Glue from http://www.rooglue.com/, especially the RooClear formula. It works. And, it is easy to use.

After speading the glue on the melamine/particle board's edge, I lay the edge banding material on the glue and then roll it with a J-roller. Then, I tape the ends with blue masking tape to keep the edge banding material from moving. Finally, I tape/clamp the entire edge of the edge banding material. Four hours later, the edge is ready to scrape. Other than the curing time, it is ideal for a shop like mine that doesn't have a 'real' edge banding machine.

Ryan Patterson
12-29-2005, 08:52 PM
What about contact cement. Before I got an edge bander I used contact cement in a cup gun. I always left the glue in the gun and it was always ready to spray. I buy most of my banding from edgeco http://www.edgecoinc.com/ They will make peel and stick banding with all of their pvc edge banding. Cost for the peel and stick is a littel on the high side but make banding a littel faster.

bleeth
12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Mike: For best results on edgebanding particle board in a small shop without a bander (and don't tell anyone I know something about particle board) the first step is to give the edges a bit of a sanding after cutting. If you have a good hand with it a DA will do the job and if not a block with some rougher grit paper will work. I have found over time that, like Ryan says (if you build for Floridians you unfortunately know a lot about cheap boxes with better exteriors), contact cement works best. Stack your boards, tape your strips down, and hit them with spray quality contact cement from one of the cheap guns available from Harbor Freight or Home Depot. It doesn't take long at all to become a spray gun expert for contact cement. I then usually trim the edges with a razor trimmer or a chisel and do a quick buff with a block with 150 grit at around a 30 degree angle. Ten minutes later after taking a breather I'm slapping boxes together.
Don't empty or clean the gun when you are done, in fact, it is better to fill it 75% and stick it in your cabinet.
As far as hot melt goes, even with the newer adhesives they are using I find myself doing more "spot" repair than I would like and the peel and stick is thick, expensive, and a pain to trim. Good for a reface job in the field, but not cost-effective for shop work.

Dave

richards
12-30-2005, 12:09 AM
I tried using contact cement, but I used the wrong method of application. Instead of using a spray gun, I painted it on with a disposible brush. The edge band strips were hung on a retractable clothes line until the glue had dried sufficiently. The spray gun method would eliminate most of the messiness, and the contact cement would eliminte the four hour delay with the Roo Glue.

ckurak
12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Mike,

Check with one of your cabinet suppliers. Mine carries contact cement in a disposable spray can: "Conbond 690 Contact Adhesive." I have not used it for edgebanding, but it might work for you without tying up a spray gun, etc.

pfulghum
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Conbond 690 (Cabinet supplier) or 3M "90" (Home Depot ~$12) Spray adhesive.
I have used both almost interchangably.
-- pat

metalmaker
01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi all, I was reading your posts but was unsure of which of the edge banding techniques and product was best for withstanding humidity in a garage in florida. I will be doing this by hand to start with no fancy equipment. Any info is greatly appreciated!

bleeth
01-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Dan: Reread my post above. The equipment is cheap as long as you have any kind of compressor. I have used my little portable compressor with no problem. A whole gallon of spray quality contact cement costs slightly more than just one of those spray cans. If you have to do it by hand you need to brush two coats onto the board material. You can also buy preglued and use an iron and veneer scraper (or wood block) but this is not as effective as spraying contact cement.

john_l
02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
"Don't empty or clean the gun when you are done, in fact, it is better to fill it 75% and stick it in your cabinet"

Not sure I understand this. I have a buddy that keeps contact in a pressure pot all the time also, I assumed he cleaned the gun out somehow but maybe no. Doesn't the contact harden and clog the nozzle and innerds of the gun? If no, For how long could you store it like this?

waynelocke
02-05-2007, 10:12 AM
You might try TiteBond Hi-Pur adhesive, http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-International-1341-Titebond-HiPURformer/dp/B000063CJK/sr=1-1/qid=1170687994/ref=sr_1_1/103-0334617-1794254?ie=UTF8&s=hi. The setup costs about $100.00 and the tubes are are$7 to $10 each. It is nothing like hot melt glue because it cures to a bond stronger than pva. I have never used it for edging and it may not work because it lays down a bead so getting complete coverage to the edges might be a problem. I rarely use it, but it has really saved the day a time or two on small moulding and the like. Also, they don't tell you but there is about a 4 month shelf life on the adhesive so you have to check the date and not warehouse it.

Wayne

bleeth
02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
John: The highest regular maintainence item is the air inlet tube which somehow no matter how careful you are it will end up clogged over time. A lot of guys take the small vinyl hose off and toss it. I tend to leave it and clean it periodically. I have had my gun in the cupboard for months without any but a cleaning of the exterior of the tip. Make sure you are using spray quality contact cement (which is thinner than the brush and roll type from home depot, etc)and even then, when you get through some of the can (I buy in 5 gallon quantities) add a bit of thinner. When I go through a period of continued use I get around six months out of a gun before it gets stubborn, but with that much product used it means I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. Even then, I have then cleaned it well and gotten a couple more months of use.

xinhebaida
06-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Amy: We are Woodworking Factory in Zhejiang province of China. Our main products are edge banding machines, drilling machines , boring machines,panel saws and so on.With the high quality and reasonable price , they are popular in the home and aboard.

This is our alibaba.com website:http://tzzhongtai.en.alibaba.com/
If you are interested , welcome to email us,and we will reply you at the first time.

EMAIL:caiseshenghu@msn.com (mailto:caiseshenghu@msn.com)
FAX:86-0576-86552590
TEL:86-0576-86553098

john_l
06-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Dave,

I just saw your response from months ago. Thank you. What harbor freight gun do you use? They sell a couple different ones in my area.