PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an ogee profile

denver
02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello. I have some small (about 5"x10") rectangular and oval parts I would like to make - probably out of 3/4" MDF. Each part also includes a 2.5"x7" pocket in the center. What I'm looking for is an ogee, or similar, cutter that I can use to cut the decorative portion of the outer profile of each part, then switch to a regular end mill for the pockets and the final separation cuts for the profiles. All the ogee bits I've seen come with a bearing on the end so they wouldn't work in this case. Any suggestions? I'll do the fancy edge as a separate operation on a different machine if I have to, but I would much prefer to do the whole job on the 'bot.

Thanks,

Denver

Gary Campbell
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Denver..
Magnate is one source: http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=showHome
Gary

denver
02-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks Gary. Looks like thay have exactly what I'm looking for.

Denver

andre
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Gary do you like these bits? they seem pretty inexpensive,

myxpykalix
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I have used the magnate bits a lot for my ornamental mill and frankly you get some profiles that i haven't seen anywhere else and let you create some decent designs. I had one surface planing bit chip on me once but overall they are decent. But for any other endmills, ballnose, ect go with centuriontools.

Gary Campbell
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Andre...
So far, so good. I have used the 3/16 & 1/8r pointed beading bits for a couple projects.. they are low price and got the job done... so they are now expendable.
We did a Cherry Instrument Panel for a yacht with the 3/16 bead outlining the letters, gauges, an outside profile. The rest was area cleared .125 deep with 3/8, 1/8 and 1/16 endmills. A little sanding and a few coats of lacquer.
Gary